G2M and Clarinet

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

RalphKatz

G2M and Clarinet

Post by RalphKatz »

I have lots of experience using a Pasoana MK 2.0 barrel-mounted clarinet acoustic pickup with guitar effects. This has been lots of fun. The primary conclusion of this experiment is that, for a monophonic instrument with a relatively simple wave form, only the most aggressive sound modification really works.

Patching this pickup into a Sonuus G2M pitch-to-midi device, frequent red "Clip" light indicates the pickup is too hot. I tried a direct box with success, and also an older compressor, with similar results.

Nothing really works unless the instrument is well warmed up and producing decent pitch. With the DB or compressor, notes are translating and playing on my older midi keyboard.

But, there are lots of artifacts (think: unwanted grace notes). DIP settings have not made much of a difference.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ralph
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M and Clarinet

Post by james »

Could you please send me a short recording of the audio from the Clarinet. Ideally, send it as a WAV file so it is uncompressed. If possible, also send the MIDI that the G2M generated. I will be able to look at the audio and may be able to offer some suggestions.

I've sent you a PM with my email address so you can email me files.