Ableton Live Tips

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

phaze5

Ableton Live Tips

Post by phaze5 »

I have only been using my G2M for a few days but have picked up a couple of ideas that I'd like to share.

Use the "Chord" MIDI effect to trigger chords buy hitting the root note only. Up to 6 notes can be triggered. Set the interval & volume ratio for each interval. Setting the "Shift 2" to + 4 semitones & "Shift" 3 parameters to +7 semitones will give you a major triad. If there are minor triads in your sequence edit the "Shift 2" parameter in the MIDI clip automation envelope down 1 step to 3 semitones where the minor chords play in the clip.

Use the "Pitch" MIDI efffect to filter notes outside a given note range or transpose up or down by 128 semitones.This is handy for for recording basslines or high notes without having to play low or high on the neck which can improve tracking.

Use the "Chord" & "Arpeggio" MIDI effects together to generate arpeggios by only triggering single notes. The chord effect generates your chord & then it's arpeggiated. There are plenty of other possibilities just waiting to be discovered.