microphone

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

jumeetha

microphone

Post by jumeetha »

What is the difference between a condenser microphone and a dynamic microphones? I am going to be using the microphone for recording. I would like to know which one is better. Thank you.
Last edited by jumeetha on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
james
Site Admin

Re: microphone

Post by james »

A condenser microphone has a capacitor inside and this needs some kind of power to polarise the capacitor (phantom power) or is self-polarised (an electret mic). Both need a preamp right beside the microphone to keep the noise low, so they need some kind of power source for that.

A dynamic mic is a moving coil in a magnet (much like a guitar pickup) and doesn't need any power to drive it.

For our products (G2M, B2M, i2M musicport) you can connect a dynamic microphone directly to them, but it only works well if the dynamic mic has a reasonably large output level similar to that of a guitar. You can use a condenser mic, but you will need some kind of preamp connected to it to give it power.

What are you going to be recording? Different mics are better in different situations. For example, condensers are great for vocals and acoustic instruments, and dynamics are great when close-micing a guitar amp. And, there are a large variety of different mic types. Take condensers, for example, you get large and small diaphragm versions: large is wonderful for breathy intimate vocal recording, small is better to capture an acoustic instrument with optimum clarity (i.e., no colouration from the mic).