Re: Sonuus Pitch to Midi App Idea

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

utensil

Post by utensil »

Hi

I had a query/suggestion: Any plans to develop a Sonuus pitch to midi app for the IOS systems.

I think it would be possible using any of the many input methods (lots of mics for vocals, irig amplink for guitar) , which would take the input and using the same algorithms convert to midi out using coremidi. This could potentially be used to output midi and also drive synth apps on the device itself( IOS now supports virtual midi so midi can be sent from one app to another).

I think this would be an awesome product and I think the hardware (at least on ipad 2 and iphone 4s) should be able to handle it. Hopefully even the older devices would.

I've not seen any usefull apps that do this well, a couple for voice but they don't work anywhere near as well as the I2m.

I don't think this would replace the i2m as it's still an excellent way to get audio to midi to a pc/mac

Just a thought

utensil
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the suggestion.

We have been asked this before a few times, and iOS wasn't very suitable (before Core MIDI, and virtual MIDI was added). But now it does look like a more viable product.

In your opinion, what would be a good app price for this?
utensil

Post by utensil »

Hi

I think you could charge around $8.99 USD for the app.

Personally I'd even pay up to $50 for it (I'm sure most buyers would find that too high because of the current app price ranges) but that's if it worked as well as the I2m or g2m v2 and I could use it with no sacrifice in performance. That's mainly because I'm an I2m owner and I know how usable it is so I'd have an idea of what to expect from the app. My logic is it would be a direct replacement which I'm always carrying with built in synths and I can send the midi over WiFi. Secondly using a midi interface (irig midi, line 4 midi mobilizer II which supports core) I can connect it to any midi hardware directly so It can be used with external synths and pcs/macs.

But since the price ranges on the app store are lower, If you priced it too high only people who have used an I2m or g2m would buy the app and the potential is for every guitarist (vocalist/musician) with an IOS device to buy the app . An alternative is to have a free version that's restricted in some way so it's easy for app buyer to get an idea of how well it works and what they could do with it and then charge more for the full version app.

To Sum up: if I saw a pitch to midi converter app on the store right now, for me to take a risk and try it I'd expect it to be under $10 if It was from any developer, but if made by Sonuus (or any company who has experience making successful pitch to midi devices like ex Roland,Terratec etc) I would pay much more.

Maybe you can take a poll on the forum to see how interested your existing customers are and what they would expect the price range to be.

I've also spent some time looking on the app store for something like this and only found 2 apps which claim to do anything like this:

midi voice controller: converts voice to midi, I didn't have much success with this app at all. It worked with my voice not with the guitar input (amplink and irig) , but the conversion was slow and inaccurate, a proof of concept maybe.

note synth. This is only compatible with Line 6's midi mobilizer 1 which doesn't support coremidi. It needs the hardware interface connected and the pitch to midi conversion was highly inaccurate not to mention slow (latency).

Hope some of this is useful.

utensil
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thank you, this is very useful indeed. Your thoughts are very similar to mine. We will keep thinking about this...
utensil

Post by utensil »

Hi

I've been checking out more and more midi and musician targeted apps, and the ones which are for are for "pro" use can go up to $60 to $70 if you include in-app purchases (for example samples etc) so I think if the app works as well as the I2m hardware you could definitely look at a price point of around $50 -$70.

utensil
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks! It's very useful to have this feedback. We will be discussing these ideas over the next few months.
soundog

Post by soundog »

I am currently using the i2M during live performance, and also use Reaper as a DAW front end for effects such as reverb and delay.

Would a VST and AU plug-in be possible (leveraging from i2M code) as a product? I am guessing latency might be a problem, as so much is done real time in the i2M hardware. Still, it might be quite nice!

Thanks.