Ideas for future I2M

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

jtopham

Ideas for future I2M

Post by jtopham »

Hi,

I already own a G2M (v.1) and B2M.

I like what I see of the I2M as it:

1. has some configuration options (ability to ignore ghost notes etc.)
2. can be upgraded via firmware.
3. provides for guitar and bass in one unit.

However, it is not suitable for my requirements as I am using my Sonuus devices to send midi to external stand-alone synthesizers and would not want to involve a laptop in this. I think a good idea for a future I2M would to be to support all current features and have the ability to work independently from a computer (with the last configuration from when connected). Such an I2M would have:

1. The Type B USB socket it currently has for computer connection.
2. A 9v socket to power it when not connected to a computer and on a pedal board.
3. Two (or more) Type A USB sockets to send midi to external devices that have Type B USB sockets for receiving Midi. From what I have read this seems the fastest way to transport Midi data (DIN cables being slower) and all devices I own have this option. Optional adapters could be made for turning an A to B USB cable back into a DIN socket at the B end of that cable. This would be for any Midi devices lacking Type B USB Midi sockets (the adapter could take power from the I2M USB socket if required)
4. The option not to send instrument data to any port (if not needed doesn't this just slow things down?)

You see a lot of comments about experiences people have with Sonuus products (good and bad) and also comparisons with the Midi pickup solutions (Roland etc.). I think a reasonable level to obtain for Sonuus, if it has not already, would to be as good or better than any guitar pedal that needs to track/analyse pitch (e.g. bass synth or intelligent key sensitive harmonizer). I'm not thinking of an octaver here (e.g. I think the EH POG, which tracks extremely well, just plays the input sound at a different speed). Anyway, some products aren't so good at this and others are (see http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index ... =39:pedals). Apparently Eventide/T.C. Electronic Harmonizers are good + the obsolete synth pedal from the linked article. However, am I right in thinking the one advantage a pedal would have over the current G2M and B2M is that when the pitch is analysed that info doesn't have to go far (its in the pedal). If so, anything that speeds up Midi transport (as well getting the Midi straight to were it is needed, hence not through a laptop) would help performance. If the I2M got bigger to accommodate that it would be fine for me (it has room to grow compared to other devices). As I said before many guitarists use pedal board power supplies now and it is more common to get devices without the battery option than it used to be so for me the battery could go too.

One other thing might be to be able to specify the exact range of your bass or guitar so you could filter out the secondary harmonics of the upper strings. For example, my B2M checks for the possibility of a note from the C or F string of a 6/7 string bass. However, that is not going to occur on my 4 string bass so it might help if I could filter out the extra notes those extra 2 strings provide.

Regards,

Justin
james
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for future I2M

Post by james »

Thank you for your useful suggestions. Indeed, we are thinking of something along these lines for a future product.
However, am I right in thinking the one advantage a pedal would have over the current G2M and B2M is that when the pitch is analysed that info doesn't have to go far (its in the pedal).
Yes, definitely. One problem when MIDI gets involved is that there has to be a bit of extra delay to really be sure that you have the correct note BEFORE you send the MIDI data. If you just track pitch, you can be faster since you can easily correct any initial errors without it being audible, which you can't do if a note-off/note-on has to be sent.
One other thing might be to be able to specify the exact range of your bass or guitar so you could filter out the secondary harmonics of the upper strings. For example, my B2M checks for the possibility of a note from the C or F string of a 6/7 string bass. However, that is not going to occur on my 4 string bass so it might help if I could filter out the extra notes those extra 2 strings provide.
The i2M can do this with it's MIDI Zones: you can set a Note Gate to limit which notes are allowed to be played.