B2M Clipping and tracking issues

The B2M™ Universal Bass to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

chasplaybass

B2M Clipping and tracking issues

Post by chasplaybass »

I just recieved my B2M two days ago. I'm using a SterlingRay5 and a four string jazz. The ONLY time the B2M does not clip is when the volume on either bass is at 0%. I was going to use the B2M to trigger sounds off my Roland JV1080 but that is proving very difficult. Perhaps 3-4 patches are tolerable. I am in tune. Intonation is correct. Tracking is horrible. even with muting I'm constantly getting double notes sounding. Since the weekend is coming up I will spend some more time with it before I request an refund from the retailer. Perhaps I should explore a GK pickup and midi converter? IMO this solution cannot be trusted in a live performance.
james
Site Admin

Re: B2M Clipping and tracking issues

Post by james »

Are these particularly high-output, active, basses? The B2M does have some gain to work better with low output instruments, so you do often need to turn down a higher-ouput instrument. Though getting close to zero does seem farther than I'd expect.

A little bit of clipping is ok. If it never clips, the signal could be too small so that sustained notes drop off too quickly.

Tracking is mainly caused by playing technique. You often have to play quite differently, particularly on the lowest notes. In particular, watch the video at the end of these FAQs for more info: http://www.sonuus.com/products_b2m_faq.html

We have many customers who use the B2M and the G2M live, but it doesn't work for everyone. A GK pickup has the advantage that the signals from each string are separated so you have to worry less about multiple strings ringing when you play. But the tracking isn't quite as fast as the B2M, nor is the pitch-bending as accurate. But in some cases it can work better, in others its not as good.