Using B2M with Novation Bass Station

The B2M™ Universal Bass to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

tndmsound

Using B2M with Novation Bass Station

Post by tndmsound »

Hello,
I'd like to know if anyone has already used the following set: Bass guitar (Fender Jazz Bass, with passive pickups), connected to a B2M unit, connected to the MIDI in of a Novation Bass Station. I was thinking about buying one of these (B2M)... Is this solution advisable within this application? Are there any documented problems related to this kind of set (without computer nor controlling software)?
Thank you.
TNDMsound
james
Site Admin

Re: Using B2M with Novation Bass Station

Post by james »

We used to have a Bass Station, but we don't have it any more.

I do have a K-Station, though and that has been used for lots of testing of the B2M and the G2M. It works really well: great sounds and the MIDI latency is very low so it works well with the pitch-to-MIDI of the B2M/G2M. I would expect the Bass Station to feel much the same.

The G2M and B2M were designed for this type of MIDI equipment: no computer required.

Some synths/keyboards (mainly Yamaha from memory) had problems with the B2M/G2M only outputting MIDI on MIDI channel 1 because they, strangely, reserved that channel for their own use. But most synths don't have such limitations.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

A bit more....

Looking at the Bass Station manual, there shouldn't be any problems. It will recognise MIDI channel 1. Also, pitch-bend range (which defines the number of semitones that a note is bent in response to the pitch-bend MIDI messages) can be adjusted easily. This needs to be set to 2 to match the B2M, otherwise note bends will be out of tune.
tndmsound

Post by tndmsound »

Thank you so much! I'm going to get a B2M and try it within this set.
directory

Post by directory »

I have been using this setup for ages now and I this has never had a problem since. It works fine. Buying B2M was the best decision ever. Try this. You won’t regret your decision. Hope you have fun with it!
Teenzraul

Post by Teenzraul »

I think one of my friends was using Bass guitar with B2M unit. He never experienced any problems according to my knowledge. He always used to tell me great things about it and I felt he was very happy with B2M.