Mac vs. Windows

The B2M™ Universal Bass to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Grooveplayer

Mac vs. Windows

Post by Grooveplayer »

The Mac is quite expensive compared to a Windows unit. I have the i2M and really only want to utilize good upright acoustic bass tones from my electric bass for libe gigs. I guess my question would be if I go with Windows 8 will I have any issues such as latency, etc? What would be the minimum requirements for a Window based laptop? I know I could use an iPad, but setup of the i2M would have to be done first on my old laptop then reconnected to the iPad. I rather not go that way. One laptop for everything is best. Any Windows 8 users out there with the i2M?
james
Site Admin

Re: Mac vs. Windows

Post by james »

I don't have Windows 8, so cannot comment on that specifically.

However, usually with Windows it's important to have a good audio I/O device that can support low latency. Most USB audio interfaces designed for music allow this. Sometimes the built-in audio of the laptop are good enough. On Macs this is often the case, on Windows, it usually isn't. So, to be sure, you're probably looking for a good (but not necessarily expensive) USB audio interface that has good Windows 8 drivers (you can cross-check that on the manufacturer's web site to see if they can verify good Windows 8 operation).