2 quick questions

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

tedro

2 quick questions

Post by tedro »

1) is this device monophonic only?

2) does it support pitch bend? if so, where is ths set?

thanks.
james
Site Admin

Re: 2 quick questions

Post by james »

Yes. This is required to attain the highest performance of the MIDI conversion.
Yes indeed. Accurate pitch-bend tracking is one of the things that makes the i2M's MIDI conversion so good and so useful. You can set chromatic mode (no bends), chromatic mode where notes are constrained to a musical scale (never play out of key) and pitch-bend mode where the bend range can be set from 1 to 36 semitones.

This is done through the editor, which lets you do extensive configuration of the MIDI setup. Look at the "MIDI Configurations (Zones)" screenshot in this link:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_editor.html
tedro

Post by tedro »

james wrote:
Yes. This is required to attain the highest performance of the MIDI conversion.
Yes indeed. Accurate pitch-bend tracking is one of the things that makes the i2M's MIDI conversion so good and so useful. You can set chromatic mode (no bends), chromatic mode where notes are constrained to a musical scale (never play out of key) and pitch-bend mode where the bend range can be set from 1 to 36 semitones.

This is done through the editor, which lets you do extensive configuration of the MIDI setup. Look at the "MIDI Configurations (Zones)" screenshot in this link:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_editor.html
i have an ipad, where do i find the Editor?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The editor isn't supported on the iPad (the required USB protocols aren't supported in iOS). So, you need to use a Mac or PC to edit the settings on the i2M. The settings are stored on the i2M itself (there are 4 presets) so once you configure it on a computer, you can use the settings on the iPad, and switch between the 4 presets using the small button on the i2M.

The default settings are shown in the i2M manual:

green = guitar + pitch bend
green flash = guitar, chromatic.

orange = bass + pitch bend
orange flash = bass, chromatic.
tedro

Post by tedro »

james wrote:The editor isn't supported on the iPad (the required USB protocols aren't supported in iOS). So, you need to use a Mac or PC to edit the settings on the i2M. The settings are stored on the i2M itself (there are 4 presets) so once you configure it on a computer, you can use the settings on the iPad, and switch between the 4 presets using the small button on the i2M.

The default settings are shown in the i2M manual:

green = guitar + pitch bend
green flash = guitar, chromatic.

orange = bass + pitch bend
orange flash = bass, chromatic.
thanks, no comp, but will look for "green".

btw...i need polyphony! :mrgreen:
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Green is the colour of the Sonuus logo on the i2M.

Press the button to switch between solid light and flashing light (2 different presets).

Hold the button for 1 second to switch between colour: orange <-> green (the other 2 presets).
If you want fast polyphony (so you can strum and play quickly) you need to use a hex pickup (where each string has it's own signal that can be processed separately). Without this, polyphony is possible but its not physically possible to get the same fast and accurate performance as the i2M.
tedro

Post by tedro »

james wrote:

Press the button to switch between solid light and flashing light (2 different presets).

Hold the button for 1 second to switch between colour: orange <-> green (the other 2 presets).
If you want fast polyphony (so you can strum and play quickly) you need to use a hex pickup (where each string has it's own signal that can be processed separately). Without this, polyphony is possible but its not physically possible to get the same fast and accurate performance as the i2M.
we will see, we will see.
yes, the point, for me, was not to have to play a separate instrument any longer, i.e., one with a hex pickup.
guitar > footswitch/volume pedal > guitar/synth/sampler. :mrgreen:

MAKE IT SO.

thanks.
p.s. ahhh...the button! found it! will try it later!
tedro

Post by tedro »

tedro wrote:
james wrote:

we will see, we will see.
yes, the point, for me, was not to have to play a separate instrument any longer, i.e., one with a hex pickup.
guitar > footswitch/volume pedal > guitar/synth/sampler. :mrgreen:

MAKE IT SO.

thanks.
p.s. ahhh...the button! found it! will try it later!
i thought it wasn't changing, mine is Red...as i type this...it started flashing Green...now there it no light.
i need it to stay Green, right?
now the light s off and i cannot get any response from the switch/light?
i have cables plugged into it, is that necessary during this process?

ok, after putting usb in and out it seems to be responding. but it seems to be pwering on and off, perhaps it's defective.
but it seems to be working now!
midi monitor app helps a lot!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It sounds like there may be a bad connection somewhere. Sometimes, the USB cable can be loose and it doesn't hold into the USB connector correctly (difference USB cables work better than others). The same can happen at the computer side of the cable. Also, sometimes the USB cable can be defective (especially if has been bent a lot). So also try another USB cable to make sure this isn't the problem.

If the i2M itself is defective and the USB connection is not reliable (and it is not the cable, or host connections) we can replace the i2M for you so you have a working one. So, please check what is going on and let us know.
tedro

Post by tedro »

james wrote:It sounds like there may be a bad connection somewhere. Sometimes, the USB cable can be loose and it doesn't hold into the USB connector correctly (difference USB cables work better than others). The same can happen at the computer side of the cable. Also, sometimes the USB cable can be defective (especially if has been bent a lot). So also try another USB cable to make sure this isn't the problem.

If the i2M itself is defective and the USB connection is not reliable (and it is not the cable, or host connections) we can replace the i2M for you so you have a working one. So, please check what is going on and let us know.
it works.
thank you.
over the next few weeks i will try to play with it--probably feeding Sampletank.
on ipad; live.
i tried it the other day, briefly. but tracking was horrendous. will keep trying. :D