i2m Musicport has never worked properly

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

james
Site Admin

Re: i2m Musicport has never worked properly

Post by james »

Audio recording in my sequencer software using my normal Alesis ASIO audio interface is still working fine.

Selecting i2M audio in the same software, the moment I plug an instrument cable into the i2m (with or without instrument connected), I get awful noise.

I tried recording i2M audio into different software (Goldwave) and that worked fine.
This suggests a problem with the ASIO driver. Are you using the ASIO driver for the i2M, or another driver (such as ASIO4All)? It sounds like a data formatting problem where the audio from the i2M gets converted incorrectly into another format so is corrupt and sounds terrible.

Because the audio is working fine in other software, it suggests there are no problems with the i2M. The ASIO problem shouldn't affect MIDI conversion.
The i2M is still recording MIDI in the sequencer software but with all the same problems. I played very slowly, picking and damping every note which gave a slightly better result in the sense of less spurious notes but still getting wrong octave etc. Also tried playing with the bass at very low volume with much the same result. Obviously neither of these ways of playing are practical in the real world and a mile away from the demo videos where people are playing quite quickly without any discernibly special technique and apparently getting perfect tracking.
It sounds like the i2M is probably working ok, but you need to tweak your technique. Is it possible for you to record a short section of audio (you can do this in Goldwave) and at the same time record the MIDI you get from the i2M? I will then take a look at what you've done and see if I have any suggestions / explanations. I'll PM you my email address in case you are able to email this to me.
Not quite sure what you mean with "What about the i2M editor?"
The i2M editor works over USB. If that is working, it shows the the USB connection is working correctly, even if audio and MIDI weren't working. But, you have said that MIDI and audio are working ok, so that's fine.
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Many thanks again - Yes, I'll send a couple of files as you suggest.
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

Hi! I'm from Russia and disappointed (. Bought recently and I can not set up in any way. (WIN8 64bit. ASIO4all and ASIO I2M. Reaper-Kontakt5) sound is delayed and confusing notes. I2M musicport No lights entry and exit. I can not update the version - flashes red and the error "Firmware update failed" - like all did as instructed. HELP!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Dmitry,

How are you performing the firmware update? Are you using the Sonuus firmware loader directly, or doing it through the i2M musicport editor? If the logo flashes red it means it is running in firmware update mode. You can then use the firmware loader utility directly to perform the update.

The i2M itself can't delay sound. Any delay is caused by software / drivers. What audio device are you using for sound output?
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

updated via the button when connected to USB - and nothing happens, and all the flashes, as well as tried through a utility (*. SFU) and an error. for audio output using the m-audio fast track and problems with no midi controller (akai mpk mini) I was more interested in why not burn entry in / out in i2M musicport editor? ASIO I2M.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

If the firmware is not updating, maybe there is a hardware problem on the i2M?

What exactly happens when you try to do the firmware update using the firmware loader utility as you do the following?

(1) You connect the i2M to the computer while holding the button so that the logo flashes red to indicate firmware update mode.

(2) You run the Sonuus firmware loader, and select the i2M_musicport .sfu firmware update file.

(3) What does the firmware loader display now?

(4) Start the update and does the progress bar move to show the update is being done? Does it get to the end?

(5) At the end of the update, what does the firmware loader show?

(6) Close the firmware loader and it should reboot the i2M into normal mode again -- what happens when you do this?
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

I do so:
1. run the Sonuus I2M musicport - device is found - push the button"setup" - push the button"update firmware" , and select the i2M_musicport .sfu firmware update file.
2. flashing red
3. immediately gives an error and a flashing red on
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

when you connect the green, red for error
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I don't understand what's happening. I've never seen this before.

It looks like the i2M is working correctly, because it can be found by the firmware updater utility.

What error is shown when it fails? Does it give any specific information?

Where did you buy your i2M. Can you PM me your details and i2M serial number.
Dmitry

Post by Dmitry »

bought "Еbаy" a new package, the device number 3000815. error "Firmware update failed."
"Can you PM me your details" - how to understand (translate)?