i2m vs g2m

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

nixerx

i2m vs g2m

Post by nixerx »

Hello
Ive been eyeing these little guys for a couple of years now.
Many questions here:

with the I2m...Do I need to use a DI box or signal spliter to pass guitar sound into my AxeFX?
Is there a way to control a hardware synth as well with this device? Like my Mini Nova or need I get a g2m for that?

any possibility of a polyphonic version in the future?

Thanks for helping a noob!
-nX
james
Site Admin

Re: i2m vs g2m

Post by james »

with the I2m...Do I need to use a DI box or signal spliter to pass guitar sound into my AxeFX?
Yes. The input impedance of the i2M is high (10M), and is actually the same as the G2M. If you use an external signal splitter so you can feed the signal into the i2M and the AxeFX, it will work the same as the G2M's THRU connection (essentially this is a simple signal splitter internally).
Is there a way to control a hardware synth as well with this device? Like my Mini Nova or need I get a g2m for that?
You can do this with a "USB-MIDI Host". For example, you can route MIDI from the i2M to your PC/Mac then back out through a USB-MIDI interface to the hardware synth. Alternatively, this device from Kenton lets you connect the i2M directly to any standard 5-pin MIDI gear, and because it has MIDI in and out, you can then route MIDI controller messages to the i2M to use as foot control (for hold/sustain) operation.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml
any possibility of a polyphonic version in the future?
Maybe. If you don't want to use a split (hex) pickup, you will always have extra latency for polyphonic conversion, so it's not much use for strumming or anything fast -- good for atmospheric chords though. Using a hex pickup would essentially give you an i2M on each string for best performance... we are considering both options, but nothing final yet.