Is there any way...

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

sleepytigers

Is there any way...

Post by sleepytigers »

I recently purchased a Waldorf Blofeld synthesizer and a i2m along with in order to use my guitar/bass as midi controllers. The problem I am having is that the while the synthesizer has a USB in/out, it is not the right size (it is and in/out, but is the same size as the usb out on the musicport, i think they call it a usb B) and I have been unable to find a cable that would connect them. Short of plugging them into the same computer, as I play live and dont really want to cart it around, do you think there is a solution to this problem, or should I just go ahead and trade it in for a g2m? Thanks.
james
Site Admin

Re: Is there any way...

Post by james »

Yes, there is a way to do this without a computer.

Firstly, the problem is that USB needs something to act as a "host". Unlike MIDI where data can be sent easily between devices, a USB device needs an intelligent host to manage the USB connection. Usually your computer does this.

The connection on the Waldorf will be a USB device connection (the same as the i2M) so it also needs a host to connect to -- you can't simply connect two devices together. That's why the cables ends are different to ensure you can't connect things incorrectly.

On our FAQ page for the i2M (http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_faq.html) see the part titled "But how can I connect the i2M musicport to other standard "5-pin" MIDI devices?"

This discusses using a device from Kenton, a "MIDI USB Host". When you connect this to the i2M, it gives you two 5-pin MIDI ports (in and out) so you can connect this to any MIDI equipment: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml

This works very well, but ads another bit of kit to your rig. A G2M may be a better option if you want to minimise what you need. However, note that the i2M has many more MIDI/conversion options that the G2M. I suggest that you try the i2M and use a computer to route the MIDI from it to the Waldorf and see how you get on. The default "green logo" settings of the i2M are exactly the same as the G2M. If that's all you need, then a G2M might be the best option. But you may find you want to explore more MIDI options, so I recommend you first try this just to be sure the G2M is enough for you.