Will This Work with Roland TD-8

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

KingConga

Will This Work with Roland TD-8

Post by KingConga »

I would LOVE to use this product on a BUNCH of devices. However, 1 device that I desperately need it on is my Roland TD-8 Drum module. My problem is my kit is set up too far away (probably easily 40 ft.) to safely rely on MIDI cables. On the other hand, I'm wondering if I connected a long 1/4" audio cable, then made up the rest of the difference with a long USB cable would that work?

KC
johnmc
Site Admin

Re: Will This Work with Roland TD-8

Post by johnmc »

Sorry for the late reply. Can you explain how you want to use the i2M? Are you wanting to trigger sounds from the TD-8 from your acoustic kit?

The i2M is a USB interface so it can't drive the MIDI DIN that the TD-8 has. You would need to use a G2M or B2M for this but they are designed to work with pitched instruments rather than percussive ones.
KingConga

Post by KingConga »

Thanks John. Actually the other way around. I want to convert analog sounds coming OUT of the TD-8, and convert them to MIDI data. However, I admit even as that comes out of my mouth, I don't see how it could distinguish each sample/sound. What if I got a MIDI-to-USB adaptor coming out of the TD-8, and IN to the i2M USB side. Does it work that way? I'm planning on getting a tablet in a couple of months. I guess I might just have to use that so I don't have to do a long MIDI cable run.

Thanks
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

Hi KC,

Doesn't the TD-8 have a MIDI out port? Can't you just connect that directly to a USB-MIDI cable?

John.
KingConga

Post by KingConga »

Thanks again John. I suppose that's a possibility, but how long is the max length for a USB cable? I actually think I'm going to wait until April when I'll get a Samsung tablet. That way it can be right next to me, and I can use a MIDI -2-USB cable with no problem. Thanks.