Can I use the i2m with a direct box

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Krishnaku

Can I use the i2m with a direct box

Post by Krishnaku »

Hello,

I have a condensor mic that needs phantom power and I have normally used a Direct Box that gives me balanced XLR inputs and the phantom power and a mic pre-amp as the first stage in my microphone set up. Can I connect the output from this Direct Box to the i2m? I want to use it both for the audio and the midi conversion from the microphone input.

I am seeing a lot of signal clipping unless I set the mic preamp at a super low level (and even then sometimes) and so I was wondering if the i2m is not designed to have a mic preamp in front of it.

Is it better to use the desktop software to set the i2m preamp gain to a very low level (-12db) and bring the mic preamp gain to more reasonable level or to keep the mic pre-amp low and keep the i2M preamp gain to its default value (--3db). What are the tradeoffs in choosing between these preamps?

krishna
james
Site Admin

Re: Can I use the i2m with a direct box

Post by james »

This will work. Set the i2M preamp to its lowest gain, then adjust the output of your mic preamp so the i2M doesn't clip.

This video uses the same setup with saxophone and a mic+preamp:
http://youtu.be/rMXx_fyV9-U
faarisuman

Post by faarisuman »

I would LOVE to use this product on a BUNCH of devices. However, 1 device that I desperately need it on is my Roland TD-8 Drum module. My problem is my kit is set up too far away (probably easily 40 ft.) to safely rely on MIDI cables. On the other hand, I'm wondering if I connected a long 1/4" audio cable, then made up the rest of the difference with a long USB cable would that work?
Last edited by faarisuman on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It should work fine. The i2M has a very high input impedance, so a long guitar cable won't cause it problems.

A long USB cable may work, but the USB specification limits this to 5m maximum. Usually, it can often work with longer cables. If long USB cables are used, best to make sure they are good quality ones for best reliability.