i2M with electric harp

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

DrXavier

i2M with electric harp

Post by DrXavier »

Dear i2M team,
I was wondering whether you thought the i2m would work with an electric harp? I'm getting one (electric harp) next week and very keen to explore aspects of using it as a midi trigger - your device looks great but was wondering whether it had ever been used with an electric harp. I can provide more details about the instrument when I get it but it has a preamp built in and knocks out a fairly strong signal, on the basis of one I trialled a while ago

There are huge potentials if this works so am really keen to explore it with you.

all the best

Graham
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M with electric harp

Post by james »

I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you only play one string at a time. The Sonuus MIDI converters are monophonic, so are designed to process only single notes.

I had a quick look at MIDI electric harps. These have pickups on each string so that each string can be converted to MIDI. Because harp strings are fixed pitch (i.e., you don't fret them), the pitch doesn't need to be detected so MIDI conversion can be instant -- you just need to look at the string being plucked and send out the MIDI note for that string.
DrXavier

Post by DrXavier »

Hi James,
thanks for the reply. Ok sounds promising - shame it's only monophonic though, although there's probably a workaround once it's in MIDI and in the computer - am I right in thinking there's software with it to alter the midi output? I could probably map stuff to make chords etc One of the main areas I'm interested really is either triggering arpeggiated synths, and/or sounds that move away from the traditional harp envelope - so longer attack sounds like string like pads etc.

Re midi harps - yes indeed you're quite correct in that they trigger on each string individually so no need for a pitch to midi conversion to take place, and that this goes beyond just note on/note off too. You may well have seen reference to developments such as that done by Camac, who also make more conventional (if this is an appropriate word) electric harps - this does exactly as you said too, but sadly I don't think it ever got past the prototype stage and made it into actual production, and if it did, it would be £££££, as it was a development that sat on top of the electric Blue pedal series that I reckon are going to be 8K onwards in the uk. Camacs aren't everyone's cup of tea either as harps and I know also from recent experience of trying to source an electric harp at all, it is very difficult to get access to their electric harps - I couldn't find any dealer in the UK who could let me see one without having to order one up front.

So I have a Lyon and Healy Silhouette being delivered on tuesday - like the above it has a pickup on each string and is a purely electric instrument, but has no inherent midi generating capacity hence my enquiry. It has a preamp so should be chucking out a line output signal similar to an electric guitar.

Would it be possible to get one of your converters on approval? - i.e. on the basis that if it works I would gladly buy it but if it's not happening I could return it? Your product looks by far and away the most superior on the market so really am interested in giving it a go.

all the best

Graham
DrXavier

Post by DrXavier »

PS the Camac prototype also was capable of processing pitch bend data so wasn't just a note on/note off type thing but also monitored the ongoing pict of each string as it continued to vibrate. I don't know how they did that but maybe it something like the Im2 technology on each string - so not just like a simple midi keyboard but one that is capable of sending a bit more info than that.

all the best

Graham
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Graham,

Thanks for the detailed reply, it is very interesting.

Although the i2M will process only one notes at a time on the audio side, it can output up to 6 MIDI notes at once depending on how you configure it using its editor software. Some synths also let you do similar things by generating more than one MIDI sounds from a single MIDI note.

Look at: MIDI Configurations (Zones) on this page:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_editor.html

I'm very happy to let you try this and see what happens. If you can't get it to do what you want there are no problems returning it for a full refund. You can buy directly from our shop:

http://shop.sonuus.com/product_info.php?products_id=33

James
DrXavier

Post by DrXavier »

Dear James,
thanks very much for this and for your kind offer - yes that ability to generate the 6 different notes could indeed do the trick. And thanks for the generous offer - I reckon I'll put an order in sometime after next week.

all the best

Graham