Instruments are makin' the notes ; but unable to record

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

EMRgency

Instruments are makin' the notes ; but unable to record

Post by EMRgency »

Hi,

I'm using Reason 7...i2m is picked up as a MIDI device ; I can attach it to an instrument and they will play the correct notes.
However, as of right now, I noticed I can't actually record anything ; in my program, I also have a keyboard, when a note is struck it turns the 'keyboard' section in the sequencer window green, letting you know it is registering I suppose.
On an instrument being played by the i2m, the keyboard section is not turning green.

Thanks in advance.
james
Site Admin

Re: Instruments are makin' the notes ; but unable to record

Post by james »

The i2M appears just like any other MIDI device (like your keyboard). The fact you can play notes means it is working correctly. So the problem is with the setup of Reason. I don't use Reason so I can't give details of what to check. But typically, look in the MIDI device settings and check your MIDI routing. You may also need to "arm" a track for recording.

Sorry I can't offer specific info on Reason.
EMRgency

Post by EMRgency »

Thank you for replying ; I'm in contact with Reason support at this time to try and figure this out as well.
EMRgency

Post by EMRgency »

Yea, just loaded up this Reaper DAW and I quickly loaded up an instrument and recorded non-sense...in that program the MIDI notes are registering Ok so yes, something within Reason.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the update.
EMRgency

Post by EMRgency »

Another update :

Got it working...just turns out adding MIDI devices in Reason, especially for an amateur such as myself, doesn't appear to be as straight forward as in other DAW's...
essentially I've found you have to add it as a control surface, rather than as a Sync in a bus slot ; so once I set up the i2m as a general MIDI keyboard without controls (there are other choices but I would really need to dig around to use the ones that seem more fitting) it started to register the actual 'hits' in the sequencer.

-Ernest
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Glad you figured it out and thanks for posting how you did it -- I'm sure this will be useful to others in the future.