Select Multiple Inputs

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

jeroenaugurk

Select Multiple Inputs

Post by jeroenaugurk »

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a I2M Musicport. But there a a few things not clear to me yet.
I'm writing this because I've allways had issues with having multiple audio interfaces connected to one computer.
I Want to just get the midi signal from the I2M, I dont wish to use the audio signal, because I'm using my own audio interface for that.
Is it possible to assigns the ins and outs of my audio interface at the same time as getting the midi signal from the I2M without any problems?

And one more question: is the tracking on the G2M as fast as the tracking on the I2M?

Jeroen
james
Site Admin

Re: Select Multiple Inputs

Post by james »

I'm thinking of buying a I2M Musicport. But there a a few things not clear to me yet.
I'm writing this because I've allways had issues with having multiple audio interfaces connected to one computer.
I Want to just get the midi signal from the I2M, I dont wish to use the audio signal, because I'm using my own audio interface for that.
Is it possible to assigns the ins and outs of my audio interface at the same time as getting the midi signal from the I2M without any problems?
You don't have to use the i2M audio. It will appear like any other USB MIDI device (such as a MIDI keyboard). So there are no problems using the i2M for MIDI only and using your other audio device for audio i/o.
And one more question: is the tracking on the G2M as fast as the tracking on the I2M?
Yes. The i2M has more configuration options to let you do a lot more with the MIDI.
twalker

Re: Select Multiple Inputs

Post by twalker »

So there are no problems using the i2M for MIDI only and using your other audio device for audio i/o.
That could work well for me - I'm considering adding an i2M to my "mobile" recording setup (based around an iPad Air), where I currently use a Samson G-Track (a USB condenser mike with built-in instrument input and headphone out) via a powered USB hub and Apple USB-Lightning "camera" adapter.

I've successfully connected both the G-Track and an ESI USB-MIDI cable to the iPad via the hub, so it would be interesting to see if the G-Track and an i2M could co-exist/co-operate the same way (I can't see why not). I'm mainly considering adding the i2M here, as the G-Track (annoyingly) puts the "instrument" channel on the R side of the USB audio input (and the "mike" channel on the L side), instead of the other way around. AFAICS, the G2M iOS app only "listens" to the L channel of the USB audio input, so basically the instrument input on the G-Track won't trigger G2M. Hopefully the i2M would be a way around this issue (and by the sound of it, track MIDI even more accurately).