Cubase 7.5 with I2M

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

marcputtock

Cubase 7.5 with I2M

Post by marcputtock »

I'm running Cubase 7.5 for Windows and wanted to use the I2M as an input device for my electric guitar to create midi parts for my recordings (my keyboard skills are poor - but my guitar musical knowledge and skills are good).

I've connected up the I2M - I've got the latest update to the firmware. I have the I2M software installed and running. I can see the midi light come on when I play a part and I can adjust the input levels so that I see the "clip" light come on intermittently. So that all seems to be working. However, I have a disconnect in my understanding. How can I get what I play to register on a track in Cubase? I should be able to use the VST instruments within Cubase (Halion Sonic for example) to play any parts that I create - in theory. What am I missing here in order to get to hear what I'm playing and to get that sound recorded in Cubase.

Thank you for helping out.

Marc
james
Site Admin

Re: Cubase 7.5 with I2M

Post by james »

You need to think as if the i2M was a MIDI keyboard. Check the Cubase documents for how to connect and use a MIDI keyboard. You may need to select which MIDI inputs you want to use (ensure the i2M musicport is selected), and you may need to arm a MIDI track (with the i2M selected as the MIDI input on this track). Then you will install the VSTi instrument on that MIDI track.

All DAWs are a little different in how they are configured and they sometimes change between versions too. Sorry I can't be very exact on this, but I don't have Cubase 7.5 installed here to check exactly how to set that up.
marcputtock

Post by marcputtock »

James - much appreciated - a reply on a Saturday.

I have resolved the problem. All seems to work fine. Worth bearing in mind that Cubase needs to be re-booted for it to recognise the new device. Doh!!

Many thanks,

Marc
desheikh

Post by desheikh »

Then you will install the VSTi instrument on that MIDI track.