I2M, Reason problem

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Taurus

I2M, Reason problem

Post by Taurus »

Hi all, just to try add attachment, didnt sure if i done it right. If it works ill describe my problem, ty.

I2M REASON 1.jpg
I2M REASON 1.jpg (222 KiB) Viewed 8375 times
I2M REASON3.jpg
I2M REASON3.jpg (225.05 KiB) Viewed 8375 times
Ok, attachment works. So, hi all again, i just purchase I2M and must say great thing, but have some problems to make it works. I am using it with Reason 5, and cant get ASIO I2M drivers to work. I can get sound with DX Primary sound drivers but with huge latency ( 92 ms ). Also i can see input and output indicators works with ASIO I2M, but no sounds coming from. I post pics so if any knows what could be problem, ty.
james
Site Admin

Re: I2M, Reason problem

Post by james »

You won't get any sound using the i2M ASIO driver unless you enable "Use Chained Output" in the i2M ASIO Driver settings. This is because the i2M has no audio output of its own, so needs to use another device for audio output. So, enable this option and select a suitable audio device to use -- ideally, use another ASIO device as the output, but you can experiment to see which of your available options works best.

If you use the i2M only for MIDI, you don't need to use the i2M ASIO driver, and you can use your existing sound card drivers... but it sounds like you have problems doing this " I can get sound with DX Primary sound drivers but with huge latency ( 92 ms )."
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

Ty James, here is thing, when i choose chained output devise i can only set WASAPI , ASIO and K3 stay grey, but still get signal for input and output on Reason VU indicators bit no sound. Yea when using my laptop sound card drivers latency is huge. Btw i installed only 32 bit ASIO drivers, maybe i must both 64 and 32?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

If WASAPI is the only option available, that's because you have no other audio device that supports ASIO or KS.

You can install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the i2M ASIO driver. The version required depends on the host -- i.e., is Reason 32-bit of 64-bit? Installing both means it's available for both 32-bit and 64-bit programs. The fact you can access it in Reason already suggests you have the version you need installed.

Laptop audio latency can be a problem. Often the only way around this is to use a dedicated USB interface that's designed for low-latency. The i2M does that for input, but of course you might need another for output.

I'm not sure why you're not hearing output in Reason. If its meters are working, it suggests the audio is being routed wrongly somewhere. Maybe the output device you selected is being routed to different connections, rather than the one you think (e.g., speaker, headphone, etc)?

If you increase "Input Monitor Level" in the i2M ASIO driver, it will send the input straight to the output, and bypass anything Reason is doing. Use this to see if you can get anything on your output.
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

Hi all again, just to confirm that i solved problem i had. Simply i bought Focusrite Scarlett USB interface, now i had chained output works, everythings work fine now. I realize ASIO I2M drivers works much better than ASIO Focusrite in terms of latency. With I2M set to 48.00 khz and buffer size of 128 samples i get 3 ms latency, and with Focusrite 11 ms. Ty James for your fast replys and good luck.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great :D Thanks for letting me know you got it working, and how you did it.