Can't get i2M to work

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

richardwl

Can't get i2M to work

Post by richardwl »

I've spent most of the afternoon trying to get this thing to work

I've been through the advice on these forums, string intonation, neck pickup, various playing styles, muting strings, tried every mode etc but I'm getting tracking issues, double notes, wrong octaves and notes simply not being picked up.

I really wanted it for piano type pieces but even the simplest picking doesn't work. A simple D for instance sounds awful. The F# is only being picked up now and again.

I tried it with chords and a string patch and sounded as if only the bass notes were being picked up and then they vary in octaves.

Not a happy bunny at the moment. It really shouldn't be this difficult.

I can't get Logic to view it as an audio input. Fine with midi but not audio. It doesn't show up in the input preferences so I can't assign an audio channel to it.

I can't download the latest software as I can't activate an account to download (no email received despite a couple of attempts).

I'm just about ready to ask for my money back!
james
Site Admin

Re: Can't get i2M to work

Post by james »

Sorry to hear you are having problems. For 99% of people everything works straight away, but sometimes it can take a little while to get used to the MIDI conversion.

First, to get the editor and latest firmware, send me a PM with your email address. I will find your account and manually enable it for you. Sometimes the activation emails get stuck in spam filters, and I assume this has happened here. Once I enable your account you will be able to log in and download everything.

Once you have the editor and latest firmware installed, run "latency test mode" from the "setup | manage" page of the editor. This sends MIDI notes and flashes the light on the i2M at the same time. This lets you check Logic is setup correctly: you should hear the MIDI notes at exactly the same time as the i2M logo flashes.

Most problems are caused by playing technique, in particular letting more than one string ring. Check the video at the bottom of this page which shows what to do, and what not to do for best results: http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_faq.html

As for Logic not seeing the i2M as an audio input, check in the AudioMIDI Setup utility. Does the i2M appear there correctly (see screenshot).
Attachments
OSX AudioMIDI Setuo utility.
OSX AudioMIDI Setuo utility.
i2M_AudioMIDISetup.png (81.75 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
richardwl

Re: Can't get i2M to work

Post by richardwl »

After a fruitful exchange of messages with James I'm pleased to say that I have now worked out a technique for getting the thing to work.

First of all I had to accept it didn't do chords which was a pity :(

Then I had to adapt my style to get rid of the weird octaves and false notes I was getting.

James suggested playing in a very staccato way which does feel very unnatural but does work.

I've found that by HEAVILY damping the strings (with my right hand and some foam under the strings by the nut), using the hardest pick and playing short notes the tracking is vastly improved.

Adequately damping the strings is, I think, key to getting a decent and accurate sound. It's also important to let go of the idea that you need to hear the strings and get used to hearing just a gentle thud from them.

So from being about to throw it out the window yesterday I'm quite impressed now :)

Thanks again James.

Cheers

Dick