USB cable, and i2M editor app for iPad?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

twalker

USB cable, and i2M editor app for iPad?

Post by twalker »

Finally "landed" my own i2M (thanks family :D ), and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised how well the unit tracks "out of the box". I will need to do some tweaking of the presets, but less than I thought I would have to at this stage - very pleased with that.

I don't have any "gripes" (yet? ;) ), though a couple of hopefully constructive suggestions come to mind:

[*]It's welcome to have a USB cable in the box... but it's wrapped up so tightly to get the cable in the package, that the lead has some nasty kinks in it which I'm not sure will ever straighten out. When I saw the state of the cable, I got straight onto Amazon and ordered a retractable USB Type A-to-B cable, which came today. I've yet to try it, but the retractable certainly looks more suitable for the gig-bag than the old "kinky" lead (!). Maybe an option for future packaging?
[*]I know the iPad isn't "officially" supported by the i2M (though it works perfectly via the Apple USB-Lightning "camera adapter"), but is there any possibility of an iPad "port" of the i2M editor? Thankfully we have our venerable iMac at home, but it stays there - it would be great to be able to adjust settings, etc. on the i2M, directly from the iPad (where I'll be using it most of the time).

Thanks again for a great piece of kit - loving it so far :D

Tim
james
Site Admin

Re: USB cable, and i2M editor app for iPad?

Post by james »

Hi Tim, pleased to hear you like your i2M.
[*]It's welcome to have a USB cable in the box... but it's wrapped up so tightly to get the cable in the package, that the lead has some nasty kinks in it which I'm not sure will ever straighten out. When I saw the state of the cable, I got straight onto Amazon and ordered a retractable USB Type A-to-B cable, which came today. I've yet to try it, but the retractable certainly looks more suitable for the gig-bag than the old "kinky" lead (!). Maybe an option for future packaging?
Its certainly something we can investigate. However, sometimes retractable USB cables are not of high signal quality (because of the thin cables), or can break too easily (again because of the thin cables). We've found the i2M cables to tend to straighten out ok though.
[*]I know the iPad isn't "officially" supported by the i2M (though it works perfectly via the Apple USB-Lightning "camera adapter"), but is there any possibility of an iPad "port" of the i2M editor? Thankfully we have our venerable iMac at home, but it stays there - it would be great to be able to adjust settings, etc. on the i2M, directly from the iPad (where I'll be using it most of the time
Apple didn't make the USB protocols available to use the i2M editor. I don't know if this has changed yet. Until that happens, there is no possibility to port the editor.
twalker

Post by twalker »

Thanks James - I hadn't thought of the thinner wires inside a retractable USB cable, so I'll have to see whether I experience any issues with the retractable I've got. I also see what you mean about the iPad app; it's not really a big issue (as I can just use the Mac editor), and I'm just grateful that the i2M works well with the iPad generally, thanks to the class-compliance.

Much appreciated :)

Tim
Batninja

Post by Batninja »

I've had my i2m for years now and absolutely love it, see my YouTube channel BATNINJA. I only ever use with my iPad and would really like to see an iPad app to configure it and save settings.
twalker

Post by twalker »

Batninja wrote:I've had my i2m for years now and absolutely love it, see my YouTube channel BATNINJA. I only ever use with my iPad and would really like to see an iPad app to configure it and save settings.
Hi Batninja - I've watched some of your demo videos, and one (with iPad, i2M, Garageband and the Risa Solid electric uke) was a factor in me deciding I wanted an i2M :) I was the commenter who asked if the Risa had a low G string... yup, I'd like one of those ukes as well! (Oh, and I now know why the Sonuus logo was flashing on the i2M - I was always curious about that when I watched the video...)

For me, it's one of the real plus-points of the i2M, that it works so well with the iPad - I too use the i2M mostly with iOS devices, for recording (audio and MIDI parts) with my Ministar travel guitar. Occasionally, I'll use the i2M with our Mac for recording guitar parts into Logic, and to access the i2M settings editor - I have a Roland GI-10 permanently MIDI-ed up to the Mac, so that's my MIDI-guitar kit at home - but in my use, the i2M and iPad make a great mobile guitar-recording rig.

Keep up the good work, everyone :D