Standalone MIDI hold/sustain pedal for i2M

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

twalker

Standalone MIDI hold/sustain pedal for i2M

Post by twalker »

This one is slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd try anyway:

I noticed in the i2M editor app for Mac, that the i2M can respond to control messages from a sustain pedal, in order to "hold" notes once played. My venerable Roland GI-10 guitar-MIDI interface has a socket for such a pedal, and I find it just about indispensable there.

Obviously, the i2M doesn't have a sustain-pedal connector (a bit small and all that ;) ), so responding to MIDI CC messages sounds like a good idea. I just wondered whether anyone knows of a USB-MIDI control interface - the smaller, the better - which I could plug a sustain pedal into, and which could then send the required CC message to the i2M?

I'm looking at adding an Akai LPD8 to my setup, which I know can be configured to send CC messages from the pads, so if there isn't a "pedal-ready" controller, I guess I could use that instead?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have :)
twalker

Re: Standalone MIDI hold/sustain pedal for i2M

Post by twalker »

A possible answer to my own question?

Judging by the website, MIDI Expression looks like the perfect solution - it's basically a USB MIDI interface for "dumb" controller pedals like sustain, expression and so on. It's class-compliant, so should work with the iPad - I usually use a powered USB hub with my iPad recording "rig", so I guess I could plug this thing in there next to the i2M, G-Track, etc.

From what I read, I guess this device would send the appropriate MIDI CC for "hold", and the i2M would receive it?

I also like how this device is so small - like the i2M, a non-bulky addition to my iPad "rucksack studio"?

At a shade over £30 with free international shipping: if MIDI Expression works as well as advertised, I think I'll be pestering Santa for one ;)

Tim
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

This does look ideal, and it should work. As you said, just make sure the MIDI Expression is set to send the same controller the i2M is set to receive for the "hold" function and it should just work.
omvibes

Post by omvibes »

@twalker, did this system work out for you? If so, were there any issues? And which hub do you use with the system? Any info appreciated, thanks. Oli