Crackle sound

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Joris

Crackle sound

Post by Joris »

Hey, I got the i2m musicport about one and a half month ago but I can't seem to get it to work.

So the problem I'm having is that the output from the i2m sounds all crackly in DAWs.
I've tried a lot of things: I tried different guitars, I tried different DAWs on different computers. (cubase 5, sonar X2)
I updated the firmware, but still I get that horrible sound.
The weird thing is: when I select the direct output in the ASIO driver, the sound is fine, which really makes me think the DAWs are outdated.
Also the MIDI sounds really wonky, and fluctuates a lot when I play notes.

Hopefully someone knows the what I can do to fix this.
james
Site Admin

Re: Crackle sound

Post by james »

Can you record audio from the i2M without using the ASIO driver. For example, record directly in Windows Sound Recorder, or something similar? This will let us know if there is a problem with the i2M hardware (i.e., it is still crackly when doing this), or if it's some other software issue.
Joris

Post by Joris »

Thanks for replying so soon :)

It seems that the software has been giving me the trouble, as there is no crackly sound when I record using windows sound recorder.
So do you know what causes and/or fixes the noise, or should I get different software?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

What other audio devices have you got on your computer?

Crackles are usually happen when the computer can't read and write the audio data fast enough, this happens when the audio buffer size is too small. You can try to increase the buffer size to see if this helps.
lizamare

Post by lizamare »

A long USB cable may work, but the USB specification limits this to 5m maximum. Usually, it can often work with longer cables. If long USB cables are used, best to make sure they are good quality ones for best reliability.
imran