question regarding drum and hollow body guitars

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

bulevardi

question regarding drum and hollow body guitars

Post by bulevardi »

I have a few questions regarding the i2M, before I buy one.

I'm a guitarist recording some stuff in a DAW currently.
Want to get background tracks like piano or drum etc...
But no room enough for a midi keyboardor drum pads....

Figured out I could control midi by my guitar, with i2m.
Is it possible to get some good drums sounds out of it too? I read the tracking needs to be very very accurate for this.
Couldn't find a video or sound sample on this one... Only a topic here regarding problems tracking drum sounds:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=660&p=1612&hilit=+ ... midi#p1612

And would it work on a hollow or semi-hollow body guitar too? Arch top...
I tried some software from Jam Origin that would do the same stuff, but does not track the sound very well because it's a semi-hollow guitar body.
Would like to know if this problem would occur too in the i2m.

Thanks in advance !
james
Site Admin

Re: question regarding drum and hollow body guitars

Post by james »

You can get good drum sounds from the i2M.

Typical GM (General MIDI) mapping of drum sounds is not ideal for guitar because they map onto the lowest notes, and sometimes below the guitar range. But with the i2M you can transpose what you play so it matches the notes the drums are mapped to. Or if you have control over the sounds, you can map these onto notes that work better for you. For best tracking, it's easiest to play higher notes to trigger the drum sounds.

The post about tracking drum sounds is the reverse problem: using drums to trigger MIDI. So, don't worry about this, it's not relevant here.

A semi-hollow guitar is not a problem. The i2M will track anything as long as the sound is pitched. You just have to avoid non-pitched sounds such as banding on your guitar body.
bulevardi

Post by bulevardi »

Ok, I actually ordered this already the day before I got your answer.

Received it well, and today I did my first tests.
I that it was only for midi, but apparently you can just record audio from the guitar too :)

Wanted to post a link to a test recording, all with the i2m, guitar + cello on top, + female choir and a drum track.
Although the drum is totally off beat, and I need to learn with this, but it works.

https://bulevardi.bandcamp.com/track/te ... -musicport
(will delete this track later on)

The DAW I use currenlty is Magix Music Studio, still need to learn to work with it decently, but wanted to record right away :)
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That's very nice.

Yes, I forgot to mention that the i2M also lets you record audio. So it makes a very nice, mobile recording solution.