USB fell out!!!!

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

danielmount

USB fell out!!!!

Post by danielmount »

So my beloved i2m has fallen apart!!
The usb 2 square metal part has fallen out, revealing the four contact prongs underneath. I'm pretty good with electronics etc and feel fairly confident that if i could open up the i2m then i could replace the metal square shell. BUT HOW!!!! This thing is built like a safe!!! Does anyone know how to open it without breaking it? or if in fact it is even possible?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Guys!
james
Site Admin

Re: USB fell out!!!!

Post by james »

Yikes! I've not heard of that before.

I'm guessing the USB connector wasn't soldered in correctly. It probably was missed during inspection and passed tests because there was enough tension on the pins to make contact.

Can you send me a photo so I can pass it to the factory?

We probably need to send you a replacement (I'll send you a PM to get details), but you might be able to repair it, but it's not always possible.

The case is ultrasonically welded together. Usually this is pretty strong, but sometimes it's weak enough to break. You need to apply pressure on the rubber sides and twist the case slightly so that you make the square profile more like a parallelogram. So if you were looking at it with the sonuus logo on the top (button below the logo), move the back of the case up and the front of the case down. Sometimes you can crack the weld. Other times you crack the case because the weld is so strong. Give it a go, you have nothing to loose.

If you get it off, you should only need to resolder the connector. But take care removing the case lid because the wires going to the logo light are delicate.

If that works, you have to glue the top of the case back on.

Worse-case, you should have a beaten-up spare i2M and we'll send you a replacement.