Cubase - Sound but no recording

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

jacobus01

Cubase - Sound but no recording

Post by jacobus01 »

I used the setting found here on the forum and did the three steps :
(1) Select "Use Chained Output Device" and this will enable the "Chained Output" section so you can select an output device to use.

(2) Select an output in the "Chained Output" section. Depending on what hardware you have you may need to try different options, and only some options will be available.

You just have to try which option works best for you (try ASIO first, then KS (WDM) then WASAPI) and select your output device from the list.

(3) Set the buffer size to something that gives low latency, but also doesn't cause problems.... Start with setting the i2M drivers buffer size (the one at the top) to 128, and the

output device also to 128. If you get problems try making the output bigger (try 256, and 512).
After these, I had indeed my guitar sounding in Cubase, but when I try to record it, nothing happens, nothing gets recorded.

I'm clearly missing something... a little help would be useful.

Tnx.
james
Site Admin

Re: Cubase - Sound but no recording

Post by james »

I've not used Cubase for a number of years, so my knowledge is rusty.

Is the audio track armed for recording? Usually you need to arm the track, then hit record. Only once you do that will audio be recorded to the track. You also need to make sure the audio input is selected as an input for the track.

Maybe someone with more up-to-date knowledge on Cubase can comment?
jacobus01

Post by jacobus01 »

Track was armed and ready:)

Some screenshots of my settings in Cubase and Windows recording devices attached...
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (141.08 KiB) Viewed 11563 times
jacobus01

Post by jacobus01 »

pic2
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (143.67 KiB) Viewed 11563 times
jacobus01

Post by jacobus01 »

Number 3
Attachments
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (142.25 KiB) Viewed 11563 times
jacobus01

Post by jacobus01 »

And the last one, sorry if it was possible to do this in one reply;)
Attachments
Image4.jpg
Image4.jpg (101.38 KiB) Viewed 11563 times
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for posting the screenshots. I'm still not sure, though.

To help you work out what Cubase is doing, set the "Input Monitor Level" to minimum on the i2M ASIO control panel. This lets the audio go straight to your output device so you can hear it. I'm wondering if audio isn't being routed to Cubase for some reason. Setting this to minimum will mean the i2M ASIO driver doesn't pass the audio straight to the output so the only thing you will head is what Cubase is doing.

So, not quite a fix, but it may help you work it out by playing with some things in Cubase.
jacobus01

Post by jacobus01 »

Ok, back after some real world-happenings/duties...

I tried setting the monitor volume in the driver panel to minimum, there's no more sound then...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

OK, that means the audio isn't getting into Cubase for some reason. The monitor bypasses the host (i.e., Cubase) to give lower-latency monitoring of the input.

When a track is armed, you should be able to see some input metering to let you know audio is getting to the track. Do you get this? You might be able to get audio to a track, but still not hear it -- that would be a good next step because then you just have to enable "live monitoring" or whatever Cubase calls it to hear the input.
jacobus01

Post by jacobus01 »

Nothing happening on the input meter, stays on 0