i2m and acoustelectric guitar routing in via audio, out MIDI

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

salsero

i2m and acoustelectric guitar routing in via audio, out MIDI

Post by salsero »

Howdy all..... I'm loving my i2m and its imperceptible audio latency. I do wish to use the MIDI-to-USB capability with my acousto-electric guitar, but am getting many dropouts and missed notes, and also MIDI garbage due to wound strings scraping on fingers.

My goal, and not knowing the success yet, is to record guitar audio into a track through my AudioBox interface, use a gate/compressor insert on that track to send a clean, level signal OUT of CPU, into the i2m and the i2m's MIDI back into DAW on a MIDI track..... yes, a loop that allows me to send audio out of CPU into the i2m's input..... as if I had a hardware compressor/gate between guitar and i2m? I don't yet know if it's possible in terms of internal audio routing within the DAW?

ANy ideas, thanks in advance....
james
Site Admin

Re: i2m and acoustelectric guitar routing in via audio, out

Post by james »

A problem with noise gates is they need some time to respond. The i2M responds very quickly, so you'd need to make sure the noise gate was as fast (or faster) than this.

A compressor is generally not a good idea because it will prevent (or reduce) the dynamics of your playing being converted into MIDI velocity. It will also boost the level of quiet signals, so it might make things worse.

The i2M actually has built-in processing that is a lot like a noise gate and a compressor, but it's intelligently linked to the processing and is adaptive.

One thing you can do to block low-level "garbage" is to set the "velocity filter" on the i2M editor. This will stop notes below a certain MIDI velocity (i.e., the quieter ones) being sent. It can help to clean-up things kind of thing. If the unwanted MIDI still gets through it's because it's too loud -- and then a noise gate wouldn't help you either!

The main thing is to try and clean up the unwanted sounds from your playing -- not so easy with a lovely, very resonant acoustic guitar with new strings!