Modulation possibilities

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Glennzone

Modulation possibilities

Post by Glennzone »

I'm using the I2M for voice to MIDI control. PB works reasonably well.
Q1 Can volume be used to control MIDI volume, or other parameters ?
Q2 Can vowel vocalities be used as a modulation source ?

I know Dragon Dictate does a pretty amazing job of providing such analysis, and I do some Max dev work, but I stay on the MIDI side.

Being that I have a background in Flight & Ground Test Instrumentation in the aerospace industry, some limited programming and microcontroller experience, perhaps I can provide some direction\insight, but having these additional modulation sources could be a wonderful thing.

Looking forward to a reply.

Thanks,
Glennzone
james
Site Admin

Re: Modulation possibilities

Post by james »

Q1 Can volume be used to control MIDI volume, or other parameters ?
Yes. The signal level can be sent as another MIDI controller. Originally this was limited to just sending the breath controller, but you can now configure it to send any MIDI controller (see the desktop editor, "mode"page).
Q2 Can vowel vocalities be used as a modulation source ?
No. It currently just uses the pitch information of the note; it doesn't look at the harmonic structure to work out the vowel components. Although, it could certainly do that with some internal tweaking. As an aside, our Wahoo pedal can do this in reverse: you can configure vowel sounds that you can modulate, so we're very familiar with vowel analysis and manipulation.
Glennzone

Post by Glennzone »

Sorry, I never did thank you for your feedback on this. It's still good news ! I just haven't had a chance to work with it since my last post.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks,
GDR
reborn

Post by reborn »

that's good information also for me