Momentary control of trigging

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

JanWiese

Momentary control of trigging

Post by JanWiese »

Hi

I need to control which notes in a sequence I play on my instrument, will trigger midi through the I2M. The sustain-pedal solution mentioned in the manual is not practical (too easy to sustain notes instead of clipping notes or phrazes - not accurate enough)

I find that the only way is to cut the signal before the I2M. However, the I2M goes red when the microphone signal is clipped with a normal momentary switch.

First question: How do I clip or cut a microphone signal before the I2M - do I need an extra preamp and cut the signal there, in order to avoid the I2M going red?

(Currently I do the clipping of the signal with a Boss FS-2.The signal goes into B2M to produce Midi, which is received in a Midisport 2X2 and directed in USB to Ableton Live. Some of this is presented in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7yNummzhQA. I use the B2M to trigger both sounds and clips in Ableton Live. The solution is unfortunately not very accurate with the midi note off Messages. This often causes midinotes to unecpectedly sustain. - Which again is the primary reason why I need the I2Ms. )

Second question: will you consider a practical kind of clipping device for the I2M? - I am sure many users share my perspective: we need a way to choose the tones to be converted to midi - sometimes also build chords by using conventional sustain.

Thank you for a great product. And excuse my problems with describing this problem.
james
Site Admin

Re: Momentary control of trigging

Post by james »

The i2M will clip if there is a big "click" in the signal when you mute it. A simple switch can do this, but if you use something active with a muting circuit, this shouldn't happen because the muting will be smooth - the Sonuus Voluum does this, but it is maybe too much just to mute the signal.

If you want to limit which notes are converted to MIDI, you might be able to do this on the i2M using it's chromatic scale mode. In this mode, only notes in a selected scale will be converted to MIDI. If you play notes outside the scale they can either be ignored (gap mode on) or it will quantise to the nearest note (gap mode off).

Using MIDI hold instead of sustain may work better. When hold is active, MIDI conversion is disabled, but the last MIDI note will remain on until the MIDI hold pedal is released. This isn't quite what you want, because notes may be held when you don't want them to be. Have you tried this?

Nice video!
JanWiese

Re: Momentary control of trigging

Post by JanWiese »

Thanks for comments... which I guess confirms the challenges involved here ;)

- I have also tried using a regular volum pedal. Somehow the software of the I2M seems to react and cause further problems when the resitance in the pedal change. Consequently the triggering gets unstable.

For practical use I would suggest that the hold function in the I2M editor was suplemented with a filter for outgoing midisignals. The filter could be controlled by a pedal in the same manner. For perfomances that would make the I2M more interesting and flexible .

In 1986 I purchased a IVL Pitchrider and have used that until a few years ago when I got the B2M. The I2M is also a great Device. Thank you for the good work!

Jan