Not working on my Ipad Pro !?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Hlp

Not working on my Ipad Pro !?

Post by Hlp »

I bought i2m assuming it would work with my new ipad pro 12,9" ios 9.3

First shock is, it doesnt even power on by simply connecting it via micro usb to lighting adapter.
That normal?

Can only make it light up (red) when using a powered usb hub (i dont like this so i hope theres a way around?)

But even when hanging on the hub being powered and connected via usb from the hub to micro usb to lighting, it doesnt seem to to anything on my ipad. Nothing would list this as available device and nothing registeres midi data.

So whats wrong please?
Hlp

Re: Not working on my Ipad Pro !?

Post by Hlp »

Do i need the cmera conection kit or what is the issue?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I think you need the Camera connection kit. This has a standard "USB host" connector to lightening. A standard USB cable (as supplied with the i2M musicport) can then be connected directly to this and it should work.

The lightening to micro USB is only used to use the iPad as a USB slave, and for charging. For the i2M to work, the iPad needs to be a USB host (this is why you need the camera connection kit).
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

I see- thank you.
You wrote somewhere here that an adapter would work so i assumed it would.
But good to know. Looking forward.

Just to be sure. Audio is only in not out through the i2m?

Oh and one more question. I am trying to use this with a hohner pianet (electro mechanic piano) wich has very similar overtones to guitar. This shouldnt be a problem right? I want it to serve as monophonic midi keyboard for synth apps.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, audio is only in through the i2M. But the iPad is clever -- the audio out will automatically come from the built-in speakers, or headphones if you connect those.
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

What about the epiano as source? Should be fine?

Is there anything like an app on ios that resembles the software editor on pc?
So one cn adjust gain and other things?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I've not used epiano, so I don't know for sure. If it supports MIDI input it should work fine. Remember to set the i2M to chromatic mode (by default this is a flashing preset) when using piano sounds, otherwise it will sound weird!

There isn't an editor for iPad. Input gain can be adjusted using the standard USB volume control, but I'm not sure if the iPad allows applications to control this. If it does, it will depend on whether the application has included that support.

Presets are stored on the i2M, so if you edit it on your computer, you can switch between them on the iPad using the button on the i2M.
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

Midi input? Noooo its an good old electromechnicl piano. Not even powered.
Its similar to a rhodes.... a hohner pianet

I see..- you missunderstood. I dont want to trigger the piano but use its keys to trigger soft synths
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Ah, I see!

This might work. It depends how complex the piano sound is. An acoustic piano uses more than one string per note to get a thick sound. This can cause problems with pitch-detection because of the beating between the slightly out-of-tune strings.

However, if the sound is "well-behaved" it can work very well. We've used analogue synths to trigger software synths using the i2M to convert the analogue synth to MIDI. If the the synth sound is suitable, it feels like you are playing a MIDI keyboard. Ideally you want a single oscillator as the sound source, with a fast attack, and not too much modulation on it.
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

Well it doesnt seem to work well i am afraid.
I get a lot of unpredictable glitchy notes...

This is with the electric piano (just one reed per note) aswell as with a Mellotron Keyboard as source.

I tried the EQ trick to filter out the overtones to improve tracking.....i do of course get sound and a few notes play fine but strangely its all over the place when using different soft synths. Best was Imini but yet very glitchy.

I would so much prefer to get this to work compared to buying a small midi keyboard like the cme xkey.... I dontwant more keyboards.

So i didnt give up yet. I know from my moog freqbox (wich is the main purpose to be triffered by the soft synths sine, played from the epiano) that triggering can be a b.tch..

Before i got the idea that the iminisinewave will trigger the freqbox great (it does) i informed myself about hardware signal shaping possibilities to get really good triggering.

So i hope you can suggest what would really helpto shape the epiano or any sound (its ALSO GLITCHY WITHMY ACOUSTIC GUITAR) to have clean good tracking and the option for fast playing.

Is an Octaver pedals sub octave the answer? The eq wont really help besides boosting.
A compressor to totaly overcompress thesource sound?