Not working on my Ipad Pro !?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Hlp

Re: Not working on my Ipad Pro !?

Post by Hlp »

What effect would help to cut off unwanted "after notes" like the vibration of a guitar or in my case the electromechanical piano wich is similar
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It's best to avoid as much unnecessary processing as possible. Don't use an octaver because that will have it's own tracking issues which will add to your problems. Similarly, don't use a compressor because it will boost low-level signals which might make things worse.

If the notes are of a similar level, try to use the velocity filter on the i2M (first tab of the editor). This will prevent low-level signals triggering notes which may help the "after notes". It won't affect the sustain of playing notes because it only has an effect when a new note is detected (a transient on the signal, or a significant change in frequency).

Maybe you can record a short sample of the audio signal and email it to me so I can have a look? I'll PM you my email address.
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

Thanks, yes will do! Thanks

Only the raw epiano right

Yes i only used the "first tab" of the button as the other gave me pitch circus.

Mail sent
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

I am trying to fiddle with the velocity settings on the editor.

Any idea for a good setting? So far i dont get much closer to good tracking without glitches.

I think the expander presets work for reducing lower volume "after notes" vibrations right? So sth there could be key?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thank you for sending the audio recording. I've been looking at it and trying to think of good solutions, but I don't have one.

Two things that are apparent in the audio:

(1) Sometimes a "note" has more than one note in it. You can sometimes hear beating on the low notes caused by this. I think this will cause the most problems - in extreme cases the i2M can jump between both notes if the beating looks like a transient (it causes a big enough signal-level jump).

(2) The start of new notes (or the transition from one note to the next) is not always "clean". Often there is a strong higher-frequency part that lasts just a cycle or two before the new note starts. Because the i2M is designed for lowest latency, it might detect the high frequency part as the note and send that, so you get a glitch.

I don't know if there is any way to clean up the sound. Is there a way to damp the tone generators? I'm wondering if the multiple notes are resonances that could be damped. And damping them would reduce the sustain which would help going between notes -- you do the same thing on guitar/bass.
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

Yes thats my impression aswell.

Mmmh about damping. The tone reeds are actually easy acsessible. How would this damping be archived?
Is it for example enough to lay one broad damping element (like a stick with cotton for example) above the whole range of the reeds?

If that would isolate the fundamental and damp the harmonics and vibrations it could work right and if i want to play the piano itself i could just lift the "stick"

Like that?
Just wondering if it would silence the whole instrument like about 80%!?

Here is an image of how the pianet looks inside
Attachments
E0F5CFCC-9CF2-4058-A4DC-E338ED491139.JPG
E0F5CFCC-9CF2-4058-A4DC-E338ED491139.JPG (246.81 KiB) Viewed 7844 times
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for posting the photo -- it's a nice instrument!

A single damping element might work, but I think you'd need to experiment. Maybe you can do a quick test on only some of the strings to see if it has potential. A stick with cotton might just be all you need.

Ideally, you'd want all the strings damped, but less damped when you play a note (for example if the hammer lifts the dampening material a little to let the note ring more). This would also have the nice effect of damping the note faster when you release the key. I don't know if that's possible though.
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

Thanks i see. Will experiment:)
Hlp

Post by Hlp »

No luck :(
Didnt help at all the way i tried it.

It plays more like "can get away with it with a few certain sounds" but thats it.
Damn.

Nothing in a signal chain could help? Or the velocity expnander?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That is disappointing, but after seeing the sound example I thought it was going to be difficult.

The velocity expander only modifies the velocity of notes, it won't change how the notes are detected.

The two problems I identified can't really be corrected by any signal processing. Some processing may help for some notes, but won't help for all of them. For example some filtering may help remove some resonances from other notes, and a noise gate may help clean up the end of notes -- but it would take a lot of setting up to get it to work perfectly, and then probably only for a few notes at a time.