USB device not recognised

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Arran

USB device not recognised

Post by Arran »

I've been using my i2m without problems for a few months but now I get the above message, I've tried it on a different machine and I get the same message. The device lights up red when connected, if I hold the button down while connecting it flashes red.
Any ideas?
james
Site Admin

Re: USB device not recognised

Post by james »

If it lights up red, it means that it can't connect to the computer. This could be for a number of reasons:

(1) There is a problem with the USB cable -- try another one.

(2) A problem with the computer (USB hardware, or driver problem) -- you have tried another computer, so it's not this.

(3) There is a problem with the i2M USB connection, and it needs to be replaced.

Pressing the button to enter update mode when you connect to the computer will let you know if the USB connection is good. When the red light is flashing the i2M is in update mode. Does the Sonuus Firmware Updater application see the device if you try to update the i2M firmware (you need to load the i2M firmware into the updater application before it will look for the i2M).
Arran

Post by Arran »

Tried a different cable and a different port. in update mode I still get "device not recognised" but the updater now finds it but fails updating the firmware; I get the message:
Device i2m music port
Hardware version: 1.42.02
--No firmware on the device!--
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

This suggests the USB is working, at least partly, so that the device can enumerate (make it's first communications with the computer OS).

What exactly happens when you try to do the update? How far does the progress bar get?
Arran

Post by Arran »

Progress bar gets about 10% then goes to zero and starts again followed by "update error", then the previous message, except now it says "hardware version: 255.255.255"
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It sounds like the USB connection is breaking. This can be caused by a bad cable, or connector.

Try the update again, and wiggle the USB connector at the i2M. Can you make it better or worse? If so it could be a bad solder connection on the USB connector inside the i2M.

This can also happen if the cable has an bad connection internally -- then wiggling at different points can make it better or worse.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Wiggling doesn't seem to make a difference.
On another cable and port now (all these cables work ok with other devices).
I did manage to update the firmware on one attempt - i2m went green, music port could see it, clip light was working on input and mirrored in music port, but no midi output. Now back to device not recognised and firmware update failures.
About to install firmware updater on different machine and try again.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Manage to update firmware on 2nd machine, went green, could step through different modes, but no midi output. Now back to device not recognised on both machines.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Neither updater on the different PC's see it now, so I've abandoned it for the night.
Thanks for your help so far, if you could look into this after the weekend I'd appreciate it, thanks.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Please can you send me a PM with your details: where you bought the i2M, when you bought it (approximately) and your shipping address in case we need to send you a replacement.