No MIDI signal coming through from device to any VSTi

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Krawd

No MIDI signal coming through from device to any VSTi

Post by Krawd »

Hello, is anybody in there?

Frustrated, trying to figure out how to get this apparent "plug-n-play" device to work.

I can see the light on the MIDI (Up Arrow) blinking with every note played on the flute, in the i2m Software.
But none of my VSTi's in any of my DAW's are getting triggered. There's no signal coming through to the DAW.
Although, when I set the ASIO driver to the "Chained output" setting, I can hear the natural flute sound I'm playing, in real-time.

There must be something I'm missing.

I was really eager to get down to make some music the moment I received this yesterday. But I now I direly need your help folks. Please!

Thank You!
james
Site Admin

Re: No MIDI signal coming through from device to any VSTi

Post by james »

It sounds like you are close to getting it working.

In your DAW, have you selected the i2M as a MIDI-input device? You usually need to do this in the "MIDI device" settings - different DAWs do it differently.

Next you need to make sure the MIDI input is assigned to a track so that the DAW can process the MIDI notes it receives. You will then assign the VSTs to be on this track.

Also check in the i2M editor that you've not disabled MIDI, or set it to send on a different MIDI channel (if you've not been on the MIDI configuration tabs, th default settings will work fine). The MIDI out (up arrow) indication on the i2M editor shows that MIDI is being sent to your computer, so it's most likely just a setting in the DAW required to connect the MIDI to the VST.
Krawd

Post by Krawd »

I already feel supported with your utter prompt reply!

So I did all you told me to.

1. MIDI routed to Instrument Track.
2. Default MIDI device set to i2m Musicport.
3. MIDI is ON in all the 4 presets in the device editor.

Still no luck.

I also tried the Latency test with the hope to hear something, but nothing was heard. Just the MIDI out blinking.

I'm using Acoustica Mixcraft as my DAW, as I just can't seem to wrap my head around the other, more advanced, DAW's.

Please Help Me!
Last edited by Krawd on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It sounds like what you have done is correct. I've not used Mixcraft for several years, and I can't remember what you need to setup in this.

Another thing to try is the "latency test mode" in the i2M. When you enable this (from the editor setup tab) it will keep sending a MIDI note on/off to your DAW. You can use this to check if Mixcraft is receiving any MIDI (so you can ignore any other setup issues on the i2M for now).

Try recording MIDI in Mixcraft. If it is receiving MIDI, it should be able to record it and let you view this. It might be that this will work, but you still can't hear it, in which case you need to look at how to ensure live monitoring is enabled on MIDI tracks.
Krawd

Post by Krawd »

Thanks for your promptness, really!

So I tried recording, but there was no input.
I also tried the Latency test with the hope to hear something, but nothing was heard. Just the MIDI out blinking.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It sounds like for some reason the MIDI that is being sent from the i2M isn't getting to part of Mixcraft.

Do you know MidiOx (http://www.midiox.com/)? If you don't have this I recommend you download and install it. It will let you view MIDI that is being received by your computer (you can select the i2M as the MIDI input device, and you should see note on/off and pitch-bend messages being sent).

I suggest you get MidiOx working and make sure you can see MIDI going to that; then you know it's only a Mixcraft problem you have to fix.
Krawd

Post by Krawd »

Midi Ox is showing no signal activity.
Both, the Output and Input monitors are blank.

Tried even with the Latency Test mode.

Wasn't this supposed to be easy?

My band members are going to be coming day after. This will be embarrasing
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, it's supposed to be plug=and-play!

In Midi-Ox, did you go to Options | MIDI Devices, and select "i2M musicport" as the MIDI Input device? I've just done this here and then I enabled the latency test and I get this shown in the "Monitor - Input" window:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
00002000 2 -- 90 3C 7F 1 C 4 Note On
000021A4 2 -- 80 3C 00 1 C 4 Note Off
000025A0 2 -- 90 3C 7F 1 C 4 Note On
00002744 2 -- 80 3C 00 1 C 4 Note Off
00002B40 2 -- 90 3C 7F 1 C 4 Note On
00002CE4 2 -- 80 3C 00 1 C 4 Note Off
000030E0 2 -- 90 3C 7F 1 C 4 Note On
00003285 2 -- 80 3C 00 1 C 4 Note Off
Krawd

Post by Krawd »

It's saying there is not enough memory to perform this task?!!

I have 7.9 gigs of free RAM yet I ended all other tasks.

Same result.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Have you tried rebooting?

I'm assuming something in the Windows MIDI system has gone wrong and that's why you get this error - which may also explain why MIDI wasn't working in Mixcraft.