i2M with midiplus midiengine

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

jvegatrio

i2M with midiplus midiengine

Post by jvegatrio »

Hello,

I'd like to use my i2M in conjunction with a midiplus midiengine sound module so I can trigger MIDI sounds with my electric guitar connected to an amp (for live performance). Is this possible, and if so, how do I hook everything up? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
JV

Juan Vega
Los Angeles, CA
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M with midiplus midiengine

Post by james »

I've not seen that sound module before, but it has a USB host connection. I would expect that you can simply connect the i2M directly to that USB host port and it will work.
jvegatrio

Post by jvegatrio »

Hi James,

Thanks for the quick reply! Could you explain/lay out the signal path? I know I connect my guitar to the i2M, but where/how do I connect it to the midiplus? The midiplus has the following connectors: headphone output - MIDI in (1/8" mono mini jack), USB Host (?), charge 5v port. I'm not sure how to close the loop so my guitar triggers MIDI patches that get routed to an amp.

Is there a cable that will have a USB type B male plug (to connect to the i2M) on one end and a 1/8" male ono mini jack on the other to go into the midiplus? I want to use the i2M so I can trigger MIDI from the midiplus & route the output (I'm guessing through the headphone jack) to an amp.

Is this the way to go, or am I missing something? Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
JV

Juan Vega
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Juan,

I think the i2M will connect to the midiplus using the USB host connector -- just connect using a standard USB cable, like the one supplied with the i2M.

The midiplus headphone output can be connected to your amp.

To switch between guitar and MIDI, you could do something like this:

(1) Connect guitar to A/B pedal. Output A connected to i2M, output B connected to your amp (you can then switch between sending a signal to the i2M or to the amp).

(2) Connect the output (headphone) of the midiplus to some kind of mixer on the input to your amp, or if your amp has an MP3 (aux) input (some have this so you can play a backing track), connect the midiplus to this MP3 input. Using the MP3 input usually makes MIDI sounds clearer because they are not being coloured by the guitar's preamps.

Alternatively, use a wide-range PA speaker for the MIDI sounds to get the best clarity.

James