Noob Seeks Help On Setting Up Within Ableton Live

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

mogruith

Re: Noob Seeks Help On Setting Up Within Ableton Live

Post by mogruith »

James, I'll be sure to explore those options and update you on progress. Thanks again :)
mogruith

Post by mogruith »

James, Happy to reprt on further progress, thanks to your assistance, now getting audio and the VST's are working.

i2M Musicport/Asio Settings are: Using Chained Input Device, WASAPI enabled, Input Monitor Level volume level set to minimum. There's two buzzer size settings in that panel: WASAPI is at 256, the Chained Input Device at 128.

I'm happy that the audio is now working.

There's a few tweaks needed still though and I wonder if you could share your insight on the following:

When using a VST in Ableton on playing from higher strings to lower (thicker) the volume level of the notes played increases. The difference is significant. On playing a scale the last note will be a lot louder, I'm hoping there's a way to either avoid that or reduce it?

I notice too that hitting a few notes on occasion a note will sound that I did not actually play.

Any help on this would be most welcome

Regards
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Good to know you got it working!

The level change is typically caused by the guitar setup. It doesn't just affect MIDI velocity, but also affects audio level too.

The big strings have more energy and provide a larger signal to the guitar pickup so these give you a higher sound level. To compensate for this, guitar pickups should be adjusted so they are closer to the thin strings and further from the thick strings. Some pickups have individually adjustable pole-pieces on the magnets that you can adjust to balance the sound for each string. Others are fixed and the only adjustment you have is to tilt the pickup. I'm assuming you just need to do some tweaking on your guitar.