no midi from i2m in Cubase

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

smiggles

no midi from i2m in Cubase

Post by smiggles »

sys specs
sys specs
smiggles-Forum-tech-supportSonuus-Cubase9-noMIDI-needMidiFix-2017-image4.JPG (148.31 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Hi, I love the i2m concept, but am not seeing midi activity from the i2m musiccport software to Cubase 9. The up arow blinks green and the overload is red if the gain is to high / the corrosponding green/red lights flash on the Sonuus i2m device when I play. If I set the gain sufficiently lower, the red light does not flash. I want to use the Itm to track monophonic voice and instruments and convert to midi and sent to cubase in (near) real time . I have tried using a direct guitar 1/4 inch cable to the i2m, and also a a cable connecting the i2m to a send output on an active channel of my UAD e710 preampp.. In both cases, I see proper activity of the harware/software connection with the i2m musicport software, and the i2musicport midi device showed up automatically in Cubase, but there is no midi actiivity in Cubase from the i2musicport source, though the Musicport software seems active and displays up arrow green indicator when I play into the i2m with itmusicort runing. I also tried connecting to a software synth, in standalone mode, and the result is the same as Cubase: I see the i2m device listed/usable, but no midi data comes into either cubase or the standalone synth.

I need help with routing the i2m musicport into Cubase.
Attaching screen shots / pics with i2m version and examples of the problem
Please let me know if more info is needed

I tried all the combonations of settings in i2m musicport and cubase, but was unable to see midi acivity in Cubase or other software. I have also updated firmware.
Attachments
demonstration of active i2musicport, no midi activity in Cubase
demonstration of active i2musicport, no midi activity in Cubase
smiggles-Forum-tech-supportSonuus-Cubase-noMIDI-needMidiFix-2017-image7.JPG (189.97 KiB) Viewed 5531 times
midi cubase settings 1
midi cubase settings 1
smiggles-Forum-tech-supportSonuus-Cubase-noMIDI-needMidiFix-2017-image6.JPG (210.08 KiB) Viewed 5531 times
i2m firmware version
i2m firmware version
smiggles-Forum-tech-supportSonuus-Cubase9-noMIDI-needMidiFix-2017-image5.JPG (56.19 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
james
Site Admin

Re: no midi from i2m in Cubase

Post by james »

What other software have you tried? Have you tried Midi-Ox? (http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm) I find this the most useful tool to debug MIDI problems.

You can use the i2M's "latency test mode", accessed from the setup page. In this mode, the i2M will send a MIDI note and flash it's LED at the same time. This avoids any issues with MIDI conversion, or MIDI setup, so know the i2M is actually sending MIDI. If this works, the problem could be the setup of the MIDI output in the i2M.

I would first try to use MIDI-Ox and latency test mode just to verify you are getting MIDI. If this works, try to do the same in Cubase.
smiggles

Post by smiggles »

thanks for your respone, could you give some specific steps in MIDI0x to use test rhe midi routing, I haven't used that softwre in at least 10 years
thanks and happy new year
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

In MIDI-Ox, just check that you can view the MIDI messages being sent by the i2M.

Connect the i2M before you start Midi-Ox.

Menu: Options | MIDI Devices, make sure the i2M is selected as a MIDI input.

Make sure you can see the input monitor: Menu: View | Input Monitor

Happy New Year too!