i2M latency

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

mikeking7

i2M latency

Post by mikeking7 »

Hi,

I am using a Vaio Win8.1, with realtek audio and cubase 8.5 pro. The best latency I can get is in: 2.68 (great) out: 8.00 (not playable) have tried all the settings in the editor and that is the best.

I noticed that since messing with the editor settings although I can get midi, albeit with noticeable delay, there seem to be no audio signal even though it is showing connected. I also do not see the midi device in the device list and cannot find i2M in the available list.
Its a bit of a mess.

help. Mike
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M latency

Post by james »

Hi Mike,

It is good that the editor is working. This shows that the i2M is functioning and USB is working.

If it's not showing up as a MIDI or Audio device, but the editor is working, it sounds like there's some problem with windows installing the drivers. If you go to Device Manager, do you see any audio devices listed with problems (exclamation marks)? Sometimes if you uninstall these (just right-click then choose uninstall), then reconnect the device (in this case the i2M) it can make it work again.

Have you tried any other software? For example I always recommend to try MidiOx to debug MIDI problems (http://www.midiox.com/).

For audio, have you installed the i2M ASIO driver? In any case, I think it's best to try and solve the MIDI problems first; it's usually easier to solve issues with this.
mikeking7

Post by mikeking7 »

Hello James,

I installed midiox and it showed (when the i2m was selected as input and the on board output) no latency. So I fired up cubase and got no response at all, even though all the device manager settings were showing active I/Os.

The midi inteface shows in the windows devices as 'Hi-Z', but only when its connected which is normal for 8.1. I loaded the i2m ASIO-64 driver before I connected the interface (and ran the update). I no longer hear the 'c' when the latency check is runnong, but hear every other sound source.

I unisntalled midiox and reset cubase, now I am back at square one with only midi signals monitored, despite the fact that in all the cubase devices dialogues the 'Hi-z' and chained output devices are showing active in both input and output.

i think this may be beyond my simple brain and it certainly isnt 'using your i2M musicport couldn't be simpler' to be honest I doubt it can be more complicated!

Mike
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Mike,

I'm not really sure what's going wrong here. It sounds like MIDI is working fine, but you have audio problems using the i2M as the audio input device, is this correct?
I no longer hear the 'c' when the latency check is runnong, but hear every other sound source.
All latency check mode does is send a MIDI note to the host. What do you mean by "hear every other sound source"?

Maybe you can post screenshots of the Cubase setup page, and the i2M ASIO setup dialog?

I don't have Cubase here, but I assume you've setup the track monitoring and routing so that you can hear everything correctly? Sometimes if there's problems its best to use the i2M only for MIDI and use another audio device for the audio just to get everything working, then switch to using the i2M for audio once this is ok.

James
mikeking7

Post by mikeking7 »

Hello James, apologies for the delay. I have set up an old w7 laptop and loaded all i2M drivers (both 32 & 64)and controls/updates on it. I uninstalled and reinstalled Cubase 8.5 pro and updated it.

I am getting audio through i2M on both the W7 & W8.1 sound devices (Hi-Z), using playback through the laptop speakers without Cubase opened. The i2m is performing in audio and clipping as it should. I then opened cubase - it is seeing the i2M musicport ASIO driver(s) - and opened an audio track set up as described in the youtube tutorial, but cannot get a sound level in the mix console. I tried installing a mono input bus with no improvement. As the audio is still inputting from the i2M through the same driver, I am therefore presuming the problem lies somewhere in the interface bewteen cubase and the drivers? Have not bothered with midi yet.

I note that in w7, when cubase opens it stops the i2M playing audio through the laptop (no response on the sound devices bar indicator) but if you then unplug and replug the i2m UBS it restores it. This interference does not happen on the w8.1 laptop.

Thanks for any further input you may have,

Mike
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I don't know.

We'll get a copy of Cubase to test this and report back to you when we've been able to test it.
mikeking7

Post by mikeking7 »

Hello James,

Thanks for that, I tried an instrument track and a midi track and the i2M works that way.
Mike
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hello Mike,

OK, that's useful to know.

I should have Cubase next week for testing.

James