i2M: abandoned or not compatible with High Sierra?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

christopherberg

i2M: abandoned or not compatible with High Sierra?

Post by christopherberg »

I'm on a MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.13.5.

1. My i2M musicport remains red after plugging it in to the USB port, even after leaving it for several hours.
2. The i2M desktop software opens, but everything is greyed out and nothing is accessible.
3. The firmware updater allows me to locate the i2Mmusicport_1_0400.sfu file, but doesn't allow me to click the update firmware button.

I think I did update the firmware when I purchased the i2M a couple of years ago, but have not had the chance to try the musicport our until the last few days. Right now there's no way to tell what firmware version I have.

Before I waste even more time troubleshooting this, given my operating system, should the musicport be working on MacOS 10.13.5? I haven't even had the chance to see if I can get it to work in a DAW.

I'd love to know…

Many thanks,

/cb
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M: abandoned or not compatible with High Sierra?

Post by james »

The i2M uses class-compliant USB drivers, so there are no compatibility issues with OSX (or other OSs that support these standard drivers).

The i2M being red can indicate two things:

(1) The firmware is corrupt so it's running in firmware update mode (flashing red)

(2) There is a USB connection problem so it's waiting for the computer to connect to it (solid red). Once connected it will change to red or orange.

What you describe here:
3. The firmware updater allows me to locate the i2Mmusicport_1_0400.sfu file, but doesn't allow me to click the update firmware button.
Suggests that there is no USB data connection (only USB power). By selecting the firmware update file you let the updater know which device to look for, and it sounds like it's not finding it.

Please try these two things:

(1) Force the i2M into update mode by pressing and holding the small button on the i2M while you connect it to USB. The red logo should flash to indicate update mode. See if the firmware updater can find it.

(2) Try to use another USB cable in case the one you are using has problems. Also try another USB port on your computer just in case. If this doesn't work, try wiggling the USB connection at the i2M to see if it makes a difference - maybe there is a broken connection on the USB connector and the i2M needs to be replaced.
annabaker

Re: i2M: abandoned or not compatible with High Sierra?

Post by annabaker »

james wrote:The i2M uses class-compliant USB drivers, so there are no compatibility issues with OSX (or other OSs that support these standard drivers).

The i2M being red can indicate two things:

(1) The firmware is corrupt so it's running in firmware update mode (flashing red) happy wheels

(2) There is a USB connection problem so it's waiting for the computer to connect to it (solid red). Once connected it will change to red or orange.

What you describe here:
Suggests that there is no USB data connection (only USB power). By selecting the firmware update file you let the updater know which device to look for, and it sounds like it's not finding it.

Please try these two things:

(1) Force the i2M into update mode by pressing and holding the small button on the i2M while you connect it to USB. The red logo should flash to indicate update mode. See if the firmware updater can find it.

(2) Try to use another USB cable in case the one you are using has problems. Also try another USB port on your computer just in case. If this doesn't work, try wiggling the USB connection at the i2M to see if it makes a difference - maybe there is a broken connection on the USB connector and the i2M needs to be replaced.
that's good information also for me