Note Gate and using two i2Ms?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

treelemon

Note Gate and using two i2Ms?

Post by treelemon »

So, I thought I had an idea that would give me what I wanted, but it doesn't seem to work.

I thought the Note Gate would let me make the i2M not respond to certain input notes...but I found out it just actually tells what notes not to convert to MIDI.

I was hoping I could use two i2Ms (via a splitter pedal) to be able to play 2 notes at the same time if I had used Note gates appropriately. What I found out is that since I'm sending two notes to both i2Ms off the same instrument, both i2Ms respond to the Note gates and mute one note or the other...

I just have a better understanding now. I guess I want a way that the Note gate doesn't cause notes to stop? Or maybe it does and I'm missing something?

I am not using the other zone to allow harmonies because the voicings I'm trying to use change a lot during the song I'm trying to use...

In conclusion:
I'd like to be able to set up Note gate so it doesn't stop the signal going to the ungated notes if a note in the "Note Gate Zone" is played.
james
Site Admin

Re: Note Gate and using two i2Ms?

Post by james »

If I read what you wrote correctly, you want to play 2 notes simultaneously but have one note detected by one i2M and the other note by another i2M (or indeed you could try to do the same thing with one i2M and two zones)?

The problem with this is by playing 2 notes simultaneously, you confuse the i2M because it's expecting you to play only one note at a time (the gate can't help here because in most cases all the overtones from one note will start to merge with the overtones from another note, hence it can cause confusion).

You can play two MIDI notes at the same time on the i2M by using the hold and sustain feature where you play one note after another and the i2M plays them together for you. The "note extend" feature also lets you do this where the note-off is delayed for up to 1 second (but this time is fixed once you set it).