Volume tracking

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

strashilol

Re: Volume tracking

Post by strashilol »

We don't have any guaranteed shipping date yet, but we are pushing to get this into the stores in time before Christmas.
Thank you for the info, james!
terryoi

Post by terryoi »

Hi!Is there any way that envelope tracking could work with the B2M also which i own?I was thinking if it could work with the i2M editor somehow i could use the voice/wind mode,but i tried that and it obviously doesn't recognize it.I was hoping i could use my melodica with the B2M but as it is now it's not working properly.So do you have any ideas on what i could do or am i out of luck?
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

Hi. The B2M and G2M firmware is not user-upgradeable.
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

after watching some of guitar synth solo performed by famous great players on youtube, now i can see that the volume / envelope tracking is the one that makes a convincing guitar synth sound ;) seems most of the sound they used is just straight oscillator like saw or square wave, and the envelope used was from the guitar's volume, not from conventional ADSR envelope on the synth..and it seems they don't even use velocity either :shock: (CMIIW)

also, borrowing concept from talkboxes and vocoders, i think it's even more dramatic if the volume / envelope tracking can use 'external' source, so you can control the envelope from a mic for example...imagine blowing to a mic to simulate breath control , or modulating the filter envelope using your voice's volume, while playing the notes with the guitar.... :twisted:
strashilol

Post by strashilol »

Well, I bought myself an i2m a couple of days ago, and have been playing with it ever since...

...and it's awesome :) The "Voice/wind" mode finally allowed me to use my E-Bow as a breath controller, which is a nice thought in itself :)
after watching some of guitar synth solo performed by famous great players on youtube, now i can see that the volume / envelope tracking is the one that makes a convincing guitar synth sound
God bless you BertAnt, I've been saying the same thing for, let's see, 5 years now :) Allan Holdsworth, the famous fusion guitarist, also shares this opinion...
i think it's even more dramatic if the volume / envelope tracking can use 'external' source, so you can control the envelope from a mic for example
...or one could buy himself an E-Bow and control the volume with economic, efficient movements of the right hand :)

I will try to record some sax solo and post it here (or maybe make a youtube video out of it), but due to a tight schedule I'm not sure when exactly it will happen :)
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

We have just released a firmware update for the i2M musicport which adds "volume tracking" to all modes. Essentially, the "breath controller" is now available as an option on all modes, not just Voice/Wind modes.

Here is the main announcement: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=406