Compatibility with iPad MIDI / Audio

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

james
Site Admin

Compatibility with iPad MIDI / Audio

Post by james »

Apple have released their new iOS (4.2) for iPad, and we can confirm that the i2M musicport MIDI works with this. Using the free "MIDI Monitor" application, you can see that it works correctly. This should also work on the iPhone4, but we've not tested that yet.

To connect the i2M musicport to the iPad, you need the "USB Camera Connection Kit".

Audio input from the i2M musicport also works on the iPad, and has done since iOS 3.2.
james
Site Admin

Re: Compatibility with iPad MIDI / Audio

Post by james »

We've just posted a quick video demo using the i2M musicport with Korg's iMS-20 on the iPad. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmawpl6cIaQ
HH00

Post by HH00 »

Hi,

1. so if I understand this well, I now can connect my guitar with the I2M and get audio input into the Ipad?
2. will I be able to get this audio into amplitube 2?
3. will this also work on the Ipad 2?

Thanks for your support,

HH00
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

1. so if I understand this well, I now can connect my guitar with the I2M and get audio input into the Ipad?
Yes. You get audio, but also MIDI conversion at the same time if the app can use this. The i2M has no audio out, but most apps will route the audio output to the built-in audio (speaker or headphones) so you have input and output working together.
2. will I be able to get this audio into amplitube 2?
For some reason, amplitube doesn't appear to support the i2M. Maybe it doesn't support 3rd party USB interfaces? We are not sure why amplitube can't see the i2M. However, it works with most other apps, including the newly released Garage Band which also has some nice-sounding amp-sims.
3. will this also work on the Ipad 2?
I assume so, but we have not been able to test it (no iPad 2).
twerppoet

Post by twerppoet »

james wrote:Apple have released their new iOS (4.2) for iPad, and we can confirm that the i2M musicport MIDI works with this. Using the free "MIDI Monitor" application, you can see that it works correctly. This should also work on the iPhone4, but we've not tested that yet.
ipad 2 case
ipad 2 leather
iPad2 cases
To connect the i2M musicport to the iPad, you need the "USB Camera Connection Kit".

Audio input from the i2M musicport also works on the iPad, and has done since iOS 3.2.
I LOVE THE IPAD VERY MUCH,BUT I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY
Still too pricey for now. Hoping prices come down soon. 
cocochen

Post by cocochen »

james wrote:Apple have released their new iOS (4.2) for iPad, and we can confirm that the i2M musicport MIDI works with this. Using the free "MIDI Monitor" application, you can see that it works correctly. This should also work on the iPhone4, but we've not tested that yet.

ipad 2 cases
ipad 2 cases leather
iPad2 cases
We've just posted a quick video demo using the i2M musicport with Korg's iMS-20 on the iPad. Enjoy:
Krishnaku

Post by Krishnaku »

Just got my i2m and I love it so far. While everything works fine on the Mac, I am having trouble with the audio interface on the iPad 2. I am using it it with garage band on the iPad and while midi recording and playback works fine, audio recording is broken since I cant seem to find a way to turn the internal microphone off when it detects Audio input from the USB port connected via camera kit. So it's picks up so much extraneous noise so as to be unusable. Is there any known way to work around for this, or am I going to have to spring for an Apogee Jam or iRig to do audio and use this only for MIDI work? That would really suck. :(

Krishna
johnmc
Site Admin

Post by johnmc »

Currently we don't have an iPad 2 but from googling this, I found that a few people are asking the same question but with USB audio hardware other than the i2M.

One person suggested that unplugging/replugging the USB audio with Garage Band open would cause it to switch from using the internal mic to using the USB audio but I don't know it that is the case.

John.
skyshark

Post by skyshark »

same problem in garageband for ipad. Do you have any solution for this?
Krishnaku

Post by Krishnaku »

I was able to get it to work on the iPad by following the suggestion below to reconnect the USB adapter with GB open. I only had to do it the one time. It works fine for me now both with audio and MIDI.