I2M to midi?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

johnjaypl

I2M to midi?

Post by johnjaypl »

What kind of device would I need to use the I2M to conrtol older midi only devices that don't have a usb connector? Can you suggest an inexpensive adapter?

Thanks,

John
james
Site Admin

Re: I2M to midi?

Post by james »

I don't know of such an adapter,though conceptually it wouldn't be too hard to build one!

I think the only solution just now is to use a computer with a MIDI port, then route the MIDI data from the i2M MIDI-IN to the MIDI-OUT on your 5-pin MIDI port (this can be done with MIDI-OX software for example which is free (Windows-only)).

For the simplest way to connect to 5-pin MIDI, the G2M/B2M are the best option -- but they don't have all the features of the i2M musicport.
johnjaypl

Post by johnjaypl »

james wrote:I don't know of such an adapter,though conceptually it wouldn't be too hard to build one!

I think the only solution just now is to use a computer with a MIDI port, then route the MIDI data from the i2M MIDI-IN to the MIDI-OUT on your 5-pin MIDI port (this can be done with MIDI-OX software for example which is free (Windows-only)).

For the simplest way to connect to 5-pin MIDI, the G2M/B2M are the best option -- but they don't have all the features of the i2M musicport.
Hmmm. So is the I2m only meant to be connected to a computer? For example, could it be plugged into a midi capable usb instrument like a moog little phatty or slim phatty? Is there a demo of the I2m driving a usb midi instrument?

It seems that once a computer is in the loop the midi mapping functions are not so interesting because the computer can do a better job at that. For example, the smart mapping that is talked about in another thread. Of course, just getting analog in and instrument to midi mapping is cool.

John
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Most "USB" instruments are only USB slaves which means they need to connect to a computer, just like the i2M musicport. You can't connect two USB slaves together. You'd need a USB "host" on the instrument.

It looks like the Moog little phatty only has a slave connection so it can connect to a computer.

Certainly once connected to a computer you can have lots of MIDI mapping options, but it depends on what software you have. Some is very flexible, some have no options at all, so we try to have the mostly used features in the device so it works for most people.
arham

Post by arham »

question 3/ what do you mean by a VST host ? The only host type I know for VST is a DAW which means using the DAW (even not for recording) is mandatory for live playing. This is strange because usually a DAW is only useful for recording!

question 4/ based on your answer again, using the DAW seems mandatory even just for playing (not recording) !

For live playing, is it just not possible to associate a synth sound to i2M with the provided soft ? (therefore not using any DAW for playing, even if it is mandatory for recording) ?

killer queen roblox id code a free roblox code get robux codes youtube giveaway generator feedback all items
https://recipesny.com/
https://www.dailysunexpress.com/
Last edited by arham on Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

question 3/ what do you mean by a VST host ? The only host type I know for VST is a DAW which means using the DAW (even not for recording) is mandatory for live playing. This is strange because usually a DAW is only useful for recording!
The VST host is the software that "hosts" the VST plugin. Typically this is a DAW.
question 4/ based on your answer again, using the DAW seems mandatory even just for playing (not recording) !
Many DAWs are suitable for live use too. Ableton Live is on in particular.
For live playing, is it just not possible to associate a synth sound to i2M with the provided soft ? (therefore not using any DAW for playing, even if it is mandatory for recording) ?
Some synths come in stand-alone applications, as well as VST plugins. In this case, you can use the application instead of a DAW and play directly with the i2M.

This link might also be useful to you: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep13/a ... 0913-4.htm
joenoone

Post by joenoone »

What about using a USB OTG adadpter and a standard usb to midi cable? I was wondering if anyone has tried that. I am thinking of getting an I2M as well but I'll also need it to run MIDI gear (5-pin DIN). The OTG USB adapters are useful on devices like cellphones because the phones don't act as a USB host device so the cable converts it to one. Can someone try this and let me know if it works? I'm still trying to decide between the B2M or the I2M....

Thanks!
Joe
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I think a USB OTG adapter is just a cable with a few resistors to make appropriate connections to let the host know which side of the cable is the host and which side is the device. A phone (with USB OTG) can act as both a device (you connect it to your computer) or a host (you connect a USB device to it).

For the i2M you need a USB host that understands class-compliany USB MIDI. Something like this from Kenton works with the i2M and gives you 5-pin MIDI-in and MIDI-out (http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml).