Newbie set up problem

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

peterest

Newbie set up problem

Post by peterest »

Hi all,
I have watched the videos, searched the forums and am feeling pretty stupid that I cannot get any sort of sound.
My set up is windows 7 home premium, emu 0404 usb interface, Cakewalk HS 7xl software.
Downloaded everything downloadable from the Sonuus website, followed the simple instructions on set up and, I think, have the correct settings in the Audio and Midi tracks in the Cakewalk software.
The track input gauges seem to suggest that that I should be hearing sounds - but no!
Is there anything obvious in my hardware which may be conflicting and account for my problems?
Already spent a day and a half trying to resolve.
Any help would be appreciated.
james
Site Admin

Re: Newbie set up problem

Post by james »

First thing to try, to keep things simple, is to use the i2M only for MIDI.

Configure Cakewalk to use your emu 0404 and check it's all working correctly as you would expect.

Then, connect the i2M and restart Cakewalk (I think the i2M needs to be connected when Cakewalk starts before it will find it).

(I don't have HS here, but have SONAR, I'm hoping some of this is the same on both:)

(1) Select the i2M MIDI input as one of the available inputs in Audio/MIDI settings.

(2) Configure an audio track with your selected MIDI instrument plug-in.

(3) On a MIDI track, select the i2M as the MIDI Input, and your MIDI instrument (which should now appear as a MIDI output) as the output.

(4) Now, when you play on the i2M, you should get some sound. If not, try recording to check if you can record MIDI into the MIDI track.

Report back how you get on and if there is anything more specific we can help with.
peterest

Re: Newbie set up problem

Post by peterest »

Thanks for that James.
I am now getting a sound but will need to look at settings as it is suffering a bit of latency and/or irregular volume, background humming, etc.

I am looking forward to the possibilities!

Appreciate your help.