Using Midi channels - i2M to sequencers

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

PaulK

Using Midi channels - i2M to sequencers

Post by PaulK »

Hi
I have set up 2 midi configs, mode 1 uses midi config a, and mode 2 uses midi config b. Midi config a, sends on midi channel 1, and midi config b, on midi channel 2.
I have tried both Logic 8 and Cubase LE (mac OSX 10.6) I set up midi instrument tracks, track one using mdi channel 1, track 2 using midi channel 2, track three using midi channel 3 etc. When I record, midi from the i2M is recorded an all tracks, whatever I do. ie the midi is recorded on all tracks even though each track is assigned a different midi channel.
When I preview the midi events, all looks good, the 12M mode 1 sends midi on channel 1 only, and mode 2 sends on channel 2 only. Can anyone enlighten me as how to get my sequencer program to only trigger sounds when data is received on the channel assigned to that track? Many thanks
PaulK

Re: Using Midi channels - i2M to sequencers

Post by PaulK »

I found the answer for Logic. I guess the other sequencer programs have similar options buried somewhere. I figured I would leave the post up and reply to it, in case any others are trying to do the same. Many thanks.

Click on the first track.
In the Inspector pane on the left, click the arrow next to the track name ("Inst 1") to see more options. One of the first options says "MIDI Channel: All". Change this to 1.
Similarly, set tracks 2-16 to MIDI channels 2-16.
Go to Settings -> Recording and enable the option "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording"
For that option to work correctly, all tracks need to be enabled for record. Click the [R] button on each track so that they are all red. For some reason, Logic sometimes disables recording on other tracks when you try to enable recording, so this step can be a bit frustrating. Keep at it and you will get it eventually.
Go to File -> Save as Template... and enter a name for this template like "16 track MIDI"
Now you are all set and can send MIDI to Logic, which will route the MIDI to one of the tracks based on its channel.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS IN GARAGEBAND???????
james
Site Admin

Re: Using Midi channels - i2M to sequencers

Post by james »

Paul, many thanks for posting this.

As for GarageBand, I think it's not possible. i.e., it doesn't support playing more than one MIDI instrument Live. I've not tried the latest version of GarageBand, maybe this has changed. We often use GarageBand for demoing, and it is very frustrating that you are limited to only 1 MIDI instrument!