Melodic minor scales

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

PaulK

Melodic minor scales

Post by PaulK »

Perhaps there are different melodic minor scales, but I learned the ascending was different to the descending as in the example for A min below. I couldn't find a scale in your patterns to do this. ascending F# G# descending all naturals.
Thanks
aminjpg.jpg
aminjpg.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 9824 times
james
Site Admin

Re: Melodic minor scales

Post by james »

The i2M currently doesn't support scales which use different notes when ascending compared to descending. The reason is that the scales are implemented as a form of quantisation and this doesn't use previous notes to adjust what notes are quantised.

So, currently, the melodic minor scale only includes the ascending melodic minor notes.
PaulK

Post by PaulK »

Thanks James.
Could you simply add the two extra notes in the melodic minor scales?
(I hope I understood you.)
Guess its a toss up. If Sonuus enables these notes, which make a true mel min scale available, it may cause some wrong notes to be triggered if intonation is not good on the two changing notes (I use the i2M on flute). But this may be better than having to turn off the scale function, and risk wrong note triggering possible on all notes.

Perhaps change the current mel min scale to "mel min scale ascending", and add another scale "mel min scale asc & desc" to the selection with the two extra notes included.

Thanks again
Paul
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

PaulK wrote:
Perhaps change the current mel min scale to "mel min scale ascending", and add another scale "mel min scale asc & desc" to the selection with the two extra notes included.
I think this is a good idea, I've added it to our list of future changes (essentially it's just an update to the i2M editor). We are also thinking about ways to let users design their own "custom" scale so you can have anything you want.
PaulK

Post by PaulK »

Hi James
I'm looking forward to a "custom" scale setup.
I would like to be able to trigger certain notes (from 1 note to all notes ) from the flute. eg. root, 3rd & 5th etc.

Thanks again. The i2M is awesome!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

For reference, here is a list of the scales used in the i2M editor (sorry, we've still not added the asc & desc variations you requested).

http://www.sonuus.com/downloads/sonuus- ... Scales.pdf
stephband

Post by stephband »

In Jazz, we only call your ascending scale the Melodic minor. Your descending scale is an Aeolian minor. Adding notes from the Aeolian minor to the Melodic minor would be a bad idea, unless you call it something else - 'classical melodic minor', maybe...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

For the next firmware/editor release (1.3.0) we have added a new "Melodic Minor Full" scale. This includes the ascending and descending notes of the Melodic Minor scale.

For ascending notes only, the existing "Melodic Minor" scale can be used.

For descending notes only, the existing "Natural Minor" scale can be used.

We will announce the availability of the new editor/firmware when it is complete. However, the scales chart (previous download link) has already been updated so you can refer to this now.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Just to say that the Desktop Editor update with the new scale is now available on our web site (version 1.3.00).

We've also added some things to the i2M firmware, so we suggest you also update this at the same time so you can take advantage of the new features added to the editor. (The new scale will work without updating the firmware, but the other new features won't.)