i2m directly to midi (in)

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Keesdrumnbass

i2m directly to midi (in)

Post by Keesdrumnbass »

Hi there,
I just got my new i2m! It's playing very well through my computer. However, I would like to plug it directly using midi into my synthesizer (with a standard midi plug). I assumed that would be possible when i bought it, however it's not. Could anyone please help me with what I have to buy or do in order to convert the usb to a midi plug.
I would be extremely happy!
Thanks,
Kees
james
Site Admin

Re: i2m directly to midi (in)

Post by james »

To connect the i2M to a standard 5-pin MIDI device, there are two options.

Firstly, you can use a USB-host to MIDI converter. There haven't been many of these around, but there is a new one just out:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... -computer/

Secondly, if you can use your computer, just connect a USB-MIDI interface to your computer and use some software to route the MIDI from your i2M into your computer then out of the USB-MIDI interface.
Keesdrumnbass

Post by Keesdrumnbass »

Thanks for your quick answer.

I'd love to leave the laptop at home during performing. Been carrying it around for too long, and it's not often intuitive for live playing. The latency also increases using the laptop, which discomforts playing. Maybe I should have bought a g2m...and be less flexible
byteofthecherry

Post by byteofthecherry »

james wrote:To connect the i2M to a standard 5-pin MIDI device, there are two options.

Firstly, you can use a USB-host to MIDI converter. There haven't been many of these around, but there is a new one just out:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... -computer/

Secondly, if you can use your computer, just connect a USB-MIDI interface to your computer and use some software to route the MIDI from your i2M into your computer then out of the USB-MIDI interface.
So will it be possible to connect one of the new breed of usb type mikes directly or the Akai ewiusb..??.....is the i2m inherintly better for sax...??...from the blurb it seems so...but I bought a G2m because no way will I have a laptop in live playing situations....while I'm at it I play main baritone sax, bass clarinet and to a lesser degree tenor sax, which sonuus unit is best, will I have to buy a BM2 for the bari/bass clar...???
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

So will it be possible to connect one of the new breed of usb type mikes directly or the Akai ewiusb..??
I don't know about the mics, this converter may only be MIDI (I don't have one). It should work with the EWI if it uses standard class-compliant MIDI drivers.
.....is the i2m inherintly better for sax...??...from the blurb it seems so...but I bought a G2m because no way will I have a laptop in live playing situations....while I'm at it I play main baritone sax, bass clarinet and to a lesser degree tenor sax, which sonuus unit is best, will I have to buy a BM2 for the bari/bass clar...???
If you have a V2 G2M, it is almost the same as the i2M. The i2M has a dedicated voice/wind mode that makes it a little better for instruments that are truly monophonic such as wind/voice. For many instruments, most of the time, you won't notice much difference between these modes. So, a V2 G2M should work fine. I think it will also handle a bari/bass clarinet (what's the lowest note you need?).

If you have a V1 G2M then it will work, but it won't be as good for sax because the front-end filtering on the V1 isn't as good as it is on the V2 so it won't handle signals that are very harmonically rich as well as the V2 does.