iTunes - Play Along

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

chinjazz

iTunes - Play Along

Post by chinjazz »

Hi,

I was wondering if using the i2M with the supplied software can one play along with iTunes on a Mac?
I use a PreSonus break out box (FireBox) for this particular activity now because this is a be a short coming of Apogee Jam (which I just bought)..

I've just learned about i2M today and now sort wonder about it's overall usefullness beyond the higher sampling rate.

This seems like a great tool!

Thanks for any feedback :)
chinjazz

Re: iTunes - Play Along

Post by chinjazz »

I just read the desktop editor software manual, and the setup tab seems to indicate this is possible as it sets the audio level on the input channel. Anyone try this yet on the Mac?
chinjazz

Post by chinjazz »

My i2M arrived today, so I'll let you know if this is possible or not. This was a "nice to have" idea just because of portability and not wanting to carry my FireBox around...

More later.....
chinjazz

Post by chinjazz »

This idea did not work with just using the i2M and a Mac (Playing along with iTunes)..
The musicport software doesn't open a secondary channel so that you can hear the audio of the instrument plugged in and the playback of the system simultaneously.

Not a major short coming as I have other hardware that can do this (Presonus Firebox).

Still seems to be an interesting MIDI solution... I have questions, and will post in another thread here...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The i2M musicport has only an audio input, so it can't automatically route any audio to an output. There is no i2M software for the audio function (it's all handled by OSX).

However, in OSX you can setup an Aggregate Device, which lets you use the input of one device and the output of another. This works well in Garage Band, Logic, and other applications. Maybe it will work in iTunes too?

See this Apple note on how to setup an aggregate device:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215