note sounds infinitely...

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

alma

note sounds infinitely...

Post by alma »

Hi,
I use i2M with saxophone, microphone and software Kontakt but often while playing a note continues to sound even if I change note.
Often even if I stop the note continues to sound.
Suggestions?

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Re: note sounds infinitely...

Post by james »

Some thoughts as to what is happening:

(1) The instrument setup in Kontakt is not responding correctly to note-off messages for some reason.

(2) The i2M is setup to "extend" notes. In the MIDI zone setup (in the i2M Desktop Editor) there is a "note extend" option. If enabled this will keep notes sounding for up to 1s after you stop playing them (but this isn't infinite). It can also be configured to respond to MIDI sustain messages which will allow the note to sustain forever. But this needs MIDI controller messages to be sent to the i2M.

(3)Feedback is causing it. You play a note on the sax, this is then played back as MIDI and picked up on the micrphone, which then sends MIDI back to Kontakt, etc.

I think (3) is the most likely. Try using headphones to see if this solves the problem. If so, you will have to experiment with microphone placement to ensure good separation between the sax sound and the sound from Kontakt.
alma

Post by alma »

Hi James,
yes, the cause is the feedback.
Now I'm doing various tests with microphone placement.

Thanks always for your prompt help.
hardbop76

Post by hardbop76 »

Hello,
I'm having this issue as well. It's not feedback as the issue keeps happening with headphones. I've turned off the note extend option. It only happens intermittently but when it does, I have to tap the mic or play another note for it to stop. I'm running Shure PGA98H Condenser>TCHelicon VoiceTone>I2m>Logic Pro X(MacBook Pro)>Various Effects and Loop pedals>Amp. Very frustrating.
-Bobby