both guitar and midi at once

Dedicated forum for feedback and support on the ASIO driver for the i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface.

Moderators: johnmc, james

forte8

both guitar and midi at once

Post by forte8 »

Hi I am a newbie and have loads of issues :oops:
First off I am a musician not a sound techie and wish you guys had more comprehensive help for the less tech savvy of us
So far it has taken 3 days to get the i2M sorted and I am so frustrated as I can hear how fantastic it could be.....
I am using mixcraft and windows xp
I have the latency down to 69 ms in wave which is still not close enough but good enough to make me salivate
If I switch to ASIO i get both the midi and guitar signal mixed up together
In the mixer I am using 1024 as both buffers and am connected via a chained output to the KS/WDM
the ASIO option is not available????????
I am really just shooting in the dark and need some help
Thanks so much
Mike
james
Site Admin

Re: both guitar and midi at once

Post by james »

ASIO and audio interfaces often cause headaches until you get it configured correctly.

First off, have you got the i2M working with MIDI only? That's the easiest place to get started so you can work to achieve the performance levels you need with less things to go wrong.

Audio latency of 69ms is very long and it will definitely be noticeable.

What sound card do you have? Does it have its own ASIO drivers, or are you using KS/WDM in Mixcraft? Setting the buffer size to 256 samples usually gives a good balance between latency and CPU load. 128 samples is even better if you find 256 is working ok. 1024 is too big.

Using the i2M ASIO driver so that you can use the i2M's audio input and another device as the output, and the details of how to configure this are in the pdf "i2M-musicport-ASIO.pdf" that was installed with the driver. We can't detail everything required to get this working in all possible software because there are so many options here.
forte8

Post by forte8 »

Thanks for the prompt reply James
and thank you for talking my issues through with me
I will install a better soundcard with ASIO and see if that helps
I am sure the learning curve will be worth it.......
forte8

Post by forte8 »

Instant success! with the new soundcard all the midi/latency issues dissapeared
and I am down to 5ms delay...happy days...
It is amazing how much difference the uprated soundcard makes

Having said that i am still having a few issues with the settings for my guitar to DAW?