Noise problems.

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Flop54

Noise problems.

Post by Flop54 »

Hello!

I have a small problem with my wahoo I wanted to know if it could be avoided .. When I set the parameters by plugging it into a computer I have noise if the computer is connected to the power.
james
Site Admin

Re: Noise problems.

Post by james »

This is a problem with ground loops on the USB power supply. USB power supplies can often be noisy, and the 0V is connected to ground (it is not isolated). The problem happens because some power current flows on the audio leads back to the "ground" of the power. Because this is on the audio signal path, it affects the audio signal and you get noise on the audio.

To solve this, you need to stop any noisy USB power current flowing on the audio:

(1) Isolate the USB power from mains ground (use laptop on batteries, for example).

(2) Use a USB isolator (can be expensive and hard to find, but work great, This one is cheaper and works (doesn't come in a sturdy box though) https://www.olimex.com/Products/Modules ... e/USB-ISO/).

(See this post on how this isolator has helped another forum member viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1124&start=10#p3335)

(3) Isolate the audio to break ground loops (there are various audio transformers you can buy that do this -- "hum-free" for example).

(4) Don't use USB power at all! If a 9V power supply is connected at the same time as USB, the Wahoo will use the 9V power instead of the USB power, so there can be no power ground loop from USB through the audio.

Option (4) is the simplest!
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Thank you very much!
The 1) work! The 2) and the 3) looks very insteresting but the 4) I think it doesn't work for me but I will try this again!!!
anabkemeir

Post by anabkemeir »

I too have had noise issues when the Wahoo was attached via usb to a laptop, when either the Wahoo was just connected to the laptop or when usb and power were connected to the wahoo. I tried a powered hub, but no help. If the laptop was running on battery and not plugged into wall outlet, there is no noise. I simply put a 3 prong ground lift adapter on the power supply of the laptop and no noise when the laptop is plugged in to power.......
BilliX

Post by BilliX »

Don't use USB power at all! If a 9V power supply is connected at the same time as USB, the Wahoo will use the 9V power instead of the USB power, so there can be no power ground loop from USB through the audio.
Unlike scam Brain Dumps.comdumps and itil IBMdumps training program, our best California University of Pennsylvaniaand Stanford Universityonline training courses provide you quick success in first try of icnd You tube
Last edited by BilliX on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flex

Post by Flex »

4) So you mean, don't use the midi sync also...bad solution...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

4) So you mean, don't use the midi sync also...bad solution...
No. You can USB for midi sync, just don't use USB power. If you have a 9V supply connected at the same time as USB, the USB power won't be used so noise should be eliminated. However, sometimes with bad ground loops, just touching USB ground to the Wahoo (even if the Wahoo isn't powered at all) can cause noise to get into your signal (it simply travels on the guitar ground). If that happens you need to solve your ground loop problem.